Find
Notify
Tools

Lawndart
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We need an update.

How are you coming on putting up that new building to house your machine shop.

And how are you coming on getting your new lathe and Milling machine.

Any photos of anything?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The loan was approved, so here is what I am paying for this Friday:

Belt drive Bridgeport. Mitutoyo DRO and a Servo set of power feeds. No holes in the table.

The lathe is a Republic Lagun gear drive 14 x 40 with a 1.5" hole through the head stock. Comes with a Yuasa 3 Jaw and Bison 4 Jaw chucks. One flip of a lever and it will do metric (which I prefer).

Both of these came out of the training program at Boise State University, so they have not had too much use.

The place I'm getting them from, Idaho Machinery & Supply, http://idahomachinery.com/ has six or seven variable speed Bridgeport mills on the floor. Those all have holes in the tables from production operators nodding off after too much alcohol or drugs the night before.

The shop will go up as finances permit (ain't that the story of our lives?).

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I got it's sibling.

Now, I need about ten years to figure out how to plug it in and I'm good to go.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those machines look extremely clean compared to some that I have looked at. ZLR, what is that thing on the left edge of your milling table?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
those machines look extremely clean compared to some that I have looked at. ZLR, what is that thing on the left edge of your milling table?

Why, that's the play station 2 of course.

It's a power feed. Kinda odd but the local qauck had bigger elbows so I get this one, lol.

I do however get the consolation prize of a weekend shooting ground squirrels. I can live with that. I'm just pleased that I have a machine that can ruin a perfectly good part twice as fast as the one I have now, lol.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LD, since you stray to the practical machinest forums, you know that a VFD will allow you variable speed and can be a phase convertor at the same time. Now that you have the 2 machines, you can start spending the real money on tooling.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is the heater plate to keep you coffee or cheeseburger hot while you work.

quote:
LD, since you stray to the practical machinest forums, you know that a VFD will allow you variable speed and can be a phase convertor at the same time. Now that you have the 2 machines, you can start spending the real money on tooling.
Butch

Hey Butch,

Staying impovershed from buying tooling is the reason I went down this road. I had reached a point where I wasn't feeling a burning NEED to buy new rifles. Now I'm jonesing for a Kurt Anglock vice, a Buck 6 jaw chuck and an eight inch slab of concrete!

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You da man!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You gotta love Lawndart's career progression. From Pilot, to Physician and Surgeon, to Gunsmith/Custom Rifle Builder. He has finally got his head in the right place. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
So long as I live long enough to service some of the younger widows in the retirement community, it will have all been worth it.

Oops, hi Lois. Oh nothing dear; just talking with the guys on AR.

LD