New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese mauser bolt question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a parts gun mauser with a chinese receiver. I don't know if any of the other parts are original to the gun. My dad and I are working on it trying to clean up the bolt and make it shoot. It has a J.C. Higgins model 50 30-06 barrel on it (which is probably worth more than the entire rifle).

Here's my question: With the bolt closed on an empty chamber there is a little forward and backward wiggle. With the bolt closed on a loaded cartridge, it is tight.

I don not want to fire the gun until I know what is going on here. I don't have a set of go/no go gauges for it.

Is this forward/backward bolt wiggle bad? I checked my other mausers and none of them exhibit this.

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That wiggle is the difference between the rear safety lug on the action and the front locking lugs. Or the face of the barrel to the bolt.
Either way as long as it headspace correctly it should be fine. But not knowing how much wiggle is there I would say check it.
I would reason to guess that since the bolt is tight with a cartridge I would say it's ok but you would not know for sure unless you headspaced it.

Gauges are cheep and a 30-06 gage will do more the a few calibers so it would be something I would buy just to have on hand.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd

I mainly bought it for the barrel. My thinking was to get a receiver that I would not be afraid to screw up. I have an FN Columbian action that is smooth as glass and I do not want to ruin it "experimenting".

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you call a Chinese mauser? I used a Brno with the Chinese flower symbol on it. Is this a Chinese mauser?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a chinese copy of a German mauser. They were made in China during WW2. Also called a "Chiang Kai Shek" rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ball's book on Mausers has a section on the Chinese variations- Mukden Arsenal, Chang Kai Sheks, fakes, etc. I'd look there to get an idea of their reliability.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote