New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Made Winchester 375 H&H to 300 H&H Feeding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you guys have an FN made Winchester in 375 H&H that you could cycle some 300 H&H round through to see how they feed? I am wanting to buy one of Winchester's new Alaskans and have it rebarreled, but I wasn't sure how the 300 round would feed since it seems to have much more taper to it. Thanks!

Posts: 206 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't have one but I can tell you that the 300s will feed better than the 375s do. The taper and smaller bullet will guide it into the chamber better. And anyway, all new M70s use the mag box for the feed rails; not the receiver so if you have problems you can work on the cheap, sheet metal box, not the receiver. Go for it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have one but I can tell you that the 300s will feed better than the 375s do. The taper and smaller bullet will guide it into the chamber better. And anyway, all new M70s use the mag box for the feed rails; not the receiver so if you have problems you can work on the cheap, sheet metal box, not the receiver. Go for it.

tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I ended up finding a brand new New Haven built Winchester Classic in 7mm STW. I checked the feeding of some 300 H&H rounds and wow do they feed smooth. REAL smooth. I'm gonna love the 300 H&H. Now I can't decide if I want to give the 7mm STW a shot or just have a smith yank the barrel and sell it. I've never owned a STW some I'm not sure what to do. I've never been much of a super magnum, high velocity fan. Anyone out there that can true a Model 70 action(double indicated, threads and reciever face only) and do a nice and tight chamber in 300 H&H? Accuracy is the game here.

Posts: 206 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Apprentice:
Well, I ended up finding a brand new New Haven built Winchester Classic in 7mm STW. I checked the feeding of some 300 H&H rounds and wow do they feed smooth. REAL smooth. I'm gonna love the 300 H&H. Now I can't decide if I want to give the 7mm STW a shot or just have a smith yank the barrel and sell it. I've never owned a STW some I'm not sure what to do. I've never been much of a super magnum, high velocity fan. Anyone out there that can true a Model 70 action(double indicated, threads and reciever face only) and do a nice and tight chamber in 300 H&H? Accuracy is the game here.

Cody,
You'll like the 7 STW, but I still like the ol' .300 H&H, just hard to leave it, but newer is okay too, sometimes

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See if the STW shoots well as is (the super magnum 7mm's like heavier bullets). If it shoots well now, there's a good chance it will shoot well with a simple, quality rebarrel. Then you would have yourself a switch barrel rifle. Just a thought.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Apprentice:
Do any of you guys have an FN made Winchester in 375 H&H that you could cycle some 300 H&H round through to see how they feed? I am wanting to buy one of Winchester's new Alaskans and have it rebarreled, but I wasn't sure how the 300 round would feed since it seems to have much more taper to it. Thanks!

Missed this post, I bought a FN mod 70 in .375 H&H that I re-chambered to 400H&H just ran a bunch of 300H&H rounds through it no problem.
Might be a bit late but good luck

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote