New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question: Leupold LPS 2.5-10x45mm.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody with experience regarding: Leupold LPS 2.5-10x45mm.
Quality – Clarity, and who is the competition.

Thank you,
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, $820 is quite alot to spend on a scope.
I have not heard much one way or the other, but are you sure you want to spend this much on a scope?
What do you plan on putting it on?

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I've had one for three years or so.

It's not quite as clear as my Swaros or S&Bs, but it's not far behind and really very, very good.

I also wanted a 1.5-6 but for some reason Leupold stopped making them.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13479 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
It's no secret that Leupold had a variety of troubles with the early LPS scopes, but the current ones are much better.

Quite honestly, I feel as though Leupold itself has created its own competition for the LPS with it's own excellent, tough, and much smaller and lighter VXIII. That scope is a major improvment over its predecessor, the Vari-X III, and has fostered a great many reasons to talk yourself out of the need for an LPS. Personally, I prefer the VX-III over the LPS. It's just a much more manageable scope that fits a whole lot more rifles a whole lot better than the LPS does, and if there's any real difference in performance between the two, I haven't seen it.

S&B and Swarovski are the European scopes that the LPS was created to equal or exceed. The one area where the LPS clearly beats the top European scopes is in the area of eye-relief. Leupold still beats the world in that department, and the LPS is no exception.

For my own money, I'd rather have a Leupold VX-III over all the rest of them, and for any hunting in the world. It's a great scope all the way.........

AD

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Allen,

Never understood the problems--guess I got a cherry off the lemon tree.

As I said, my LPS is not as good as my Swaros or S&Bs--which clearly were/are the intended competition--but it's really good. I will never again use a 1" tubed scope--IMO the 30mms are that much quicker, clearer and better all around.

I admit that when it comes to optics, and some other things, I'm a bit of a snob and insist on the absolute best that money can buy. Of course, with scopes, I and most other people can afford the absolute best, whereas with most other things, we unfortunately can't.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13479 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the LPS 1.5x6 scopes and had to send it back because the rubber power adjustment ring broke loose from the scope. Leupold stood by their product and sent me a brand new scope that's been fine. I had it on a 416RM for a while but have been moving it around from rifle to rifle and haven't found one that I think is right for this scope. The scope seems clubby to me and when on the lowest power there is some perimeter distortion (normal in this scope) that doesn't hurt anything but is there none the less. The scope is bright and holds zero well but for the money I agree with Allen that the VX III are more to my liking.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote