THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home made oven for polymer finish baking........
 Login/Join

<RVB>
posted
Anyone got plans for building an oven to bake Tuff Kote or Gun Kote finishes. My wife is really getting pissed about doing it in the kitchen.....:-)

<G.Malmborg>
posted
RVB,

Go to a used appliance store and buy one.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm has about the most practical solution. For small parts, I picked up a Farberware convection oven that was on sale at Sears. Also, if you go to KG Industries, they have the basics for an oven as part of the GunKote application instructions.

TreeFarmer

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This gentleman has taken a beating here for his low cost sporterizing, but for those of us saving our pennies, here's his curing 'oven':

GSWagner.com's Curing Oven

Not sure what temps you need to achieve, but it might help you out.

Ken

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Just tell your wife that your girlfriend never seems to mind it [Eek!]

Just kidding [Big Grin]

You should have been there when I put one of the case halves of a Honda CR250 engine in the oven so I could pull a crank bearing. We've got another oven now.

Terry

[ 11-04-2003, 17:16: Message edited by: TC1 ]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't gotten to it yet, but I was gonna just put a length of 8" schedule 80 pipe on the turkey fryer. Weld some rebar cross crossways so it won't roll, and plug the ends with some provision for air circulation and a thermometer and I am done.

Also recall reading about some who was using a junk school locker with a hot plate for a heat source.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they've got them where you live, but in WV, we've got used appliance stores that mostly seem to sell used dinettes and ovens. That would be cheaper than buying something new.

H. C.

...and you won't feel so bad about using a used one outdoors, which your wife will probably insist on anyway.

[ 11-07-2003, 04:23: Message edited by: HenryC470 ]

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
I enjoy applying KG Gunkote. It is one of the few improvements I, as a person who is not a gunsmith, can administer to a firearm on my own. I found a supplier of a parkerizing solution and I have a friend with a aluminum oxide blaster. For an oven, I've used the kitchen oven and its not very convenient. My wife does not like the smell [understandably] and the oven is usually too short for all but the shortest barrels. [Sometimes the barrel props the door open and I have to seal the gap with tinfoil to keep the heat in].

My larger point is this: there is an entity known as Mac's Restorations which parkerizes and applies KG Gunkote. They call their application "Tuffgun". I am very, very impressed with this company and their service. I have sent several barreled actions to them. They are prompt and the application of the finish is absolutely first rate. I highly recommend them. So, as an alternative to building an oven, getting an air compressor and blasting cabinet and getting set up to parkerize, non-gunsmiths can send their work to Mac's.

I am sorry I don't have a link, but look up "Mac's Restorations" with your search engine and you will find them. Since I've found them, I don't know that I will be applying much KG myself anymore.

Jordan