Find
Notify
Tools

Can't remove the barrel screw from a Buckmark
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I want to remove the barrel screw from my Buckmark, but have destroyed 2 screwdrivers (a Craftsman and a Chapman bit) trying to do it. I can't apply heat because the front of the trigger guard is "painted" with that black coating.
I'm thinking of going to the local "junk" store, buying a BIG screwdriver and grinding/shaping it to fit the screw precisely and try one more time.
Any suggestions?
I intend to get a new screw first thru Brownell's before I start to replace the bunged-up screw.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest trying an impact driver:

or if you know of someone that has a cordless one try that, but these things are pretty cheap anyway and are about the best thing for seized screws.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
use a soldering iron and apply heat directly to the screw.... it's worked for me in the past...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I tried the soldering iron thing and it was no go. Later, I ground down a cheap screwdriver to fit and got about 1/8th turn out of it, then nothing. The slot is basically toast at this point. So now, I guess it's Kroil for a few days while I find someone to borrow an impact driver from. Sh1t.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old4x4:
I tried the soldering iron thing and it was no go. Later, I ground down a cheap screwdriver to fit and got about 1/8th turn out of it, then nothing. The slot is basically toast at this point. So now, I guess it's Kroil for a few days while I find someone to borrow an impact driver from. Sh1t.

Just a thought, but there comes a point when a fellows got to acknowledge his limitations and to do so while he still has the capacity to call it quits and let someone else be responsible for screwing it up. But you have to do it while there is still some of the screw head left or all bets are off. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soak it for a few days in WD 40, grind the biggest screwdeiver that you can get to fit the slot, have someone else tap on the top of the handle of the screw driver as you turn (this is the cheap mans impact screwdriver) !
Hope it works out for you!
Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Yeah...Almost time for someone else to screw it up. (pardon the pun). I'm definately with ya.
I wanted to replace the barrel with a Trail-lite barrel-the original reason for replacing it. I suppose if I can't get it out, It shoots well enough with the factory barrel...

Charles Bronson

posted Hide Post
You may have to drill it right out until there is just a thin sleeve of thread left .
Then screw in an easyout . Before you put any real weight on the easyout soak the area with a proper penertrating oil overnight.
Then apply gradual pressure on the easyout and it should come out with out destroying the internal thread . Then clean up the internal thread with a plug ( bottoming ) tap.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J. Valentine:
Then work the easyout back and forth a bit at a time untill it wants to turn a full turn

Welcome. How do you work an easyout back and forth?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You are right you cant work it back and forth much or it will unlock . I was thinking about two ways to do it at the time and screwed up.
I will ammend my post.
Thanks for that.
The other way I was thinking about was to epoxy in an allan key and work it back and forth as he said it moved 1/8 turn.

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
An impact driver my buddy lent me did the trick, but it took a few minutes. Tossin' it and getting a new one. Thanks for all the help!

Charles Bronson