New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L579 - Good Action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Currently own a SAKO L579 mated to a 22-250 barrel. The action appears to be in very good shape. I want to do informal benchrest and varmint shooting. From a gunsmith's perspective is this a respectable action to re-barrel to a 6mm BR? Thanks.
Ron

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say that as far as factory actions it might be one of the best.I saw one in 6BR place second in a varmint match a few weeks ago.It was a rechambered 243,10" twist and it shot very well, and feeds too.It was beaten out of first place by another Sako, in 6PPC.I have an L579 rebarreled to 7-08AI,and an AII Varmint in 22-250.They are nice smooth actions.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the great actions of all time and its not even a control feed!!! [Wink] Very smooth and functional...

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Fly,

Years ago I shot Hunter Class benchrest with a Sako L579 varmint barrel in .243 Win. I put in a Canjar trigger, but otherwise it was stock. That rifle would shoot half minute or better with its best loads, but it was particular about LOA.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I guess you might guess that I'd be a bit prejudiced, but it is a fine action and will give excellent accuracy results, especially in a BR chambering. My 2 centavos

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote