Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Commercial FN Mauser smith
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
I have a JC Higgins model 50, 30-06, made by FN. I'm not able to remove the action from the stock. I don't see anything holding it after I remove the two screws and magazine cover. Could it be something in the trigger used in those old FN models? This one was made in 1951 and shows no signs of being fired.
Thanks,
George

Posts: 31 | Location: Sandfly, GA | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should come apart unless its glued to the stock. part of the trigger is attached to the bottom metal with a hinge pin but its seperate and bottom metal pulls right out.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Don't think it's glued as it losens up and seperates a bit just will not completely release. Hammer time!

Geo

Posts: 31 | Location: Sandfly, GA | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also check to make sure that the barrel isn't anchored to the forearm with a screw. If it isn't, flip it upside down and carefully tap on the barrel with a soft mallet and see if you can't coax it out of the stock.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,
Bumped it a couple of times and it came apart. Some of the old original lube had dried on the rear metal sleeve that goes between the upper and lower metal. It needed a bump to seperate.
Thanks again,
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
When this happens, I try to not lever out the action and cause wear to the inletting.

Take the bolt out and insert a plastic or brass drift into the action from the top. Place it against the the magazine edges and tap the bottom metal straight out the bottom, a little at a time.

Then flip the rifle upside down and use the drift against the underside of the action to tap it straight out of the stock.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote