New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre War Model 70 magnum action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently acquired a worked over 1941 Model 70 that was rechambered from 300 H&H to 300 Wby and restocked, as well as having a scope mount screw hole in the rear bridge. I'm parting out the stock and barrel and I'll do something with the action. Thinking a 257 Wby simply because I have a reamer and a chrome moly Douglas blank, or a 7 Rem Mag, have a couple SS Benchmark blanks.
Will a post war firing pin, cocking piece and safety assembly screw right in to the bolt or will there be machine work involved?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I think the nose of the firing pins are different diameters. But I could be wrong. Leeper would know if anyone. He picked up a sexually transmitted model 70 disease from Oliver Winchesters sister when he was younger and foolisher and can't afford penicillin.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill is my go-to guy for anything Pre'64 M70. He's barrelled three for me.

If he weren't retired(?) I'd enlist his help...:-)
But I did hear thru the grapevine that he has secretly done work on Pre'64's for another rifle guy who's been afflicted with the Pre'64 disease...:-)

I do have a couple later Pre'64's that I can do some trial parts swapping with.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the oil patch in the tank the way it is and Mizz Justine and Mizz Rachel trying for all their worth to sink it for good, and take the dollar with it. I think you had better take on any machine time you can get Rick. Even if it's for yourself. I think Billy might have started working on the sly after after he saw his first Old Peckerheads cheque and had a mild heart attack when he realized that it wouldn't buy a summers worth of gas for his motorbike-toys! LMAO ROFF

popcorn

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I'm continually amazed and gratified at the way the government just throws the money at me just because I am old and feeble. Because I have always managed to avoid the pitfalls of wealth, I am blissfully ignorant of what it is. I think this gives me a certain advantage in many instances. The power of poverty, I call it.
The firng pin tip diameters are different and, of course, the striker spring retention system is different. So you would just have to turn down the tip. You could just make a whole new pin with a flange to replace the spring retaining collar.
My retirement is more a case of selfishness. While I may have done some work over the winter for friends, I've mostly worked on three or four rifles I'm doing for myself. Reclaiming my place as a hobbyist, you might say. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3780 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I try not to think about it, but I guess going from a gunsmiths salary to old age pension would kinda be like winning the lottery Billy. Double the money. You don't have to get up every morning. No more riff raff to deal with. S I G H !

I'm so poe. I'm so DAMNED POE !

LOL

horse

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just checked my stash. It appears that pre 68 firing pins fit just fine. Of course you will have to use the proper spring and retainer.

My "Classic" firing pin has a larger diameter tip and will need modified.

I do not know for certain, but it appears that post 64 Pushfeed pre "Classic" firing pins work just fine. I only have very early ones that take the cap and have the little tab for a cocking indicator.

Also I have seen very early Pushfeed, 670, 770 and also store brand Win 70 firing pins take the same retainer as a pre 64 Win 70.

The post 64 Bolt Sleeve, aka Bolt Shroud does not time properly; it goes on 180 degrees too far.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a 7 Wby this time Rick. Something a little different. We can chat about it tomorrow. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote