New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which would you choose and why?
 Login/Join

<Sniper>
posted
If you could select one of the following three which would you choose and why?

6.5 WSM

270 WSM

338 WSM

These are the three choices I have narrowed down for the Montana Short Action..but cannot decide on which one of the three.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you going to hunt deer-sized animals or elk-sized animals?

For deer sized animals I would get the 6.5mm. The ballistic coefficient of some of the 6.5mm's is the highest around and great for long range, or you can use 100 or 120 grainers to super velocity deer splats.

For elk sized animals I would favor the 225 or 250 grain bullets in the 338.

Personally I cannot see a use for the 300 wsm given the other two candidates.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 Grains provided you with an excellent response, which I agree with. But for the sake of argument, I will pick the .270 WSM for smaller animals, and then top the .270 with a .338WSM in the near future. In the far future, you could have the following rifle battery:

All the bases will be covered: From Texas to Alaska with the .270 and the .338 combo, or from Texas through Alaska, then to Africa with the .416. The only problem I can see here is that you would only "need" three rifles.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ever seen short circut? More input please!!! [Big Grin]

What does your existing battery consist of? Will this be a first/all around rifle or an addition which can be considered a "specialized" weapon?

As mentioned, the prospective targets are also an important consideration.

Myself, I would opt for the 338 because Ive got the others covered. With that said, I will put in a plug for the 270. It seems to get a bad rap for a "lack of bullet selection" but I disagree. There is a plethora of fine bullets for a 270 to choose from and it has a proven track record as an effective and versatile caliber.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
This will be an addition to the battery and is a project rifle to add to the "I don't need any more rifles", rifle group.

This will be for one of the Montana Short Actions I have on order, Magnum Bolt Face, that is why I went with the WSM line-up.

The "rifle" will primarily be used for whitetail hunting 99% of the time but eventually may take a trip to Africa or a Western Elk hunt.

I already have a 7 WSM and a Lazzeroni Patriot (.308) in the short magnum group that is why they are not included.

[ 06-01-2003, 01:12: Message edited by: Sniper ]

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've listed before that a buddy and I had both the 6.5 and the .338 WSMs made up. Can't think of a better battery for the 50 states. With the 6.5, I form cases from .270 WSM, and the .338s are made from .300 WSM. No forming dies, no lost cases with 100 made for each of the four guns.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you settle on a specific use for the rifle now? Since you have other rifles it's just for fun but it will make your choice easier. Then the new rifle will be your "best" for that task.

To explain what I mean if you sellected the .338 WSM and made it into a "timber" or woods rifle then you might get a sporter weight 22" or shorter barrel. It would then be a somewhat handy "brush" gun.

I just made the same decision as you face. I also have M1999 SA's on order and one will be a "coyote" rifle! I selected the 270 WSM and the standard 1-10 twist in a 24" barrel. This rifle will be used for long range coyotes.

I did not go with the wildcats as I have too many of them now but don't let that stop you. It's just that I have been there and done that.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
Thanks to all that replied, I have decided to go with the 338 WSM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .338...yes, it complies with the old adage that you can never have too much gun.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would rather have the old fashioned 270 win, or 30-06. You can have the WSM's!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I think you made the right choice with the .338 WSM. [Big Grin] So far, have had very good accuracy with the Nosler Partition 210gr using H-4831SC and Reloader 22. [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote