New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 Model 70 Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I talked to a fellow to night about one of these model 70's. He said it was made in 1953. My question would be about the lenght of pull. He said it was about 13 inches over a pad that is about 3/4 inch thick. I'm not sure but it seems to me that stock would have been cut off about an inch does that sound right. He also said that the gun could use a coat of finish nothing major in the way of deep marks just that it has been used. That would be alright with me I like to refinish stocks. Anything else I should ask him about. I have never owned a pre 64 model 70 before and don't know if this should be the first. thanks Tony

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you saying that the LOP is now 13.75" including a pad?

If this LOP suits you then your all set. If it's too short perhaps a thicker pad may add some.

My main concern is that it sounds like you have not seen the rifle. There could be a lot more changes that sort of mess it up. I do like shooter 70's with pads however. That way your not competing with collectors.

What model and caliber is it and how much is the seller asking?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's 13 inches including the pad. 270 wants 625.00 No I have not seen it . Its about 2 hours away and we are having trouble getting a time that works for both of us.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like 1 1/4 was cut. Origanal was 13 1/2 . Ask him for exact measurements not " about".

I have one that is 13" with a 1" pad. someone cut too much off.

It sucks when you buy a nice old rifle for good money and it has a nice stock that is cut too short.

Clear the length of pull (stock cut) up with the seller so you can negotiate him down on the price.
My thoughts ,Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
read your new post . That IS to short. Tell the seller it is to short. price goes down.

Sure you can add a spacer , but all that work cost money and you end up with a ugly spacer that devalues the rifle to make it right.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

What LOP do you like?

Is that a standard grade or a Featherweight? Keep in mind that the standard grade pre 64 70's are very heavy.

I would not bother with that seller unless they come up with a lot of good pictures. It's too far.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I think I'll tell him its to much money for me to pay for that gun. He said he turned down an offer of 600.00 for it so I won't try to get it for less with the short stock. My rifles have stocks of 13.5 to 14 inches which is good for cold hunting but could be a little longer when shooting in the summer.