New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front sight ramp options for #5 taper 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 24" stainless Douglas #5 taper 1:12 twist 375 H&H barrel on my pre 64 Win 70 action. I have Leupold Vari-X IIc 2-7x in Leupold QR bases with medium height rings on the gun.

The muzzle is .710". The front sight mount screws are 2" center to center; the diameter at the forward screw is .720" and at the rear screw is .750". I was originally going to put on a Williams ramp and still may, but would like other opinions. I do not want to go with a banded style. The ramp needs to be high enough to permit seeing the front bead over the QR bases. Also I am leaning towards either a Williams Firesight(if Williams ramp) or some TruGlo option for other ramps. This is my gun and most likely will never get to Africa, but may get to Alaska again someday.

The rear sight mounting is wide open as the barrel has not been drilled for anything back there yet. I wanted to position the rear sight in the optimum location for clarity as well as scope clearance. I would appreciate some rear sight advice as well.

My general purpose gun is a well worn pre64 Win 70 Fwt in 30-06. This also has the same basic scope setup except is the earlier 28mm scope. The sight choices are a Wiliams Firesight for a 870 Rem shotgun up front and a Williams Firesight for a model 94 Winchester in the rear. This sight combination works great on this application.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two P-64-.375s and used to have two more. My custom "shorty" with 20" Classic tube, chopped of course, I prefer banded fronts from Recknagel, but, this rifle originally had a Recknagel long, elegant ramp that holds a "glow" front sight, Sourdough type or various beads.

It was un-finished when I got it and I changed it to my parameters for a working BC Grizzly gun, but, since Recknagel is available from New England Custom Gun, VERY good people to deal with, IME, you can call them and get exactly what you prefer.

In my opinion, there is NO DGR for North America that is equal to the P-64s in .375H&H and I wish I had not sold my other two! I like the Recknagel glow front bead and skeletonized rear with glow inset for BC-AK type DGR conditions and NECG can install these for you.

I am most likely going to have these installed on my Browning Safari .458WM that Ralf Martini is going to customize for me later this year. I find them as fast as any of my ghost rings and better in really dim light, HTH.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote