New
Find
Notify
Tools

Predator Receiver just got here
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just received 2 of the new Predator short action magnum receivers. They are a beauty and very well made. Hopefully Stiller will make a M70 or Mauser clone one of these days. These are made of 416 heat treated stainless, EDM raceways, all CNC, Anshutz type bolt release, Remington foot print, Sako extractors, and uses 2 Remington front scope bases. I believe the bolts are made by Dave Kiff at Pacific Precision and a longer bolt handle is tig welded on. The bolt was coated with armoloy. They are drilled for a pinned recoil lug. It uses the Remington type trigger group. I was able to get into the special first time price of $600 ea. They will sell for $695 from now on. I know we don't have too many Remington lovers here, but it is nice to get a quality product with a great price.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Photos please?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Website, please?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to stiller@viperactions.com. Check the new products. I think he may have chromoly receivers available next year. I just set one of my receivers in a McMillan stock and it fit perfectly.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trek, how do you load that thing? Big Grin

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
right hand bolt, left hand ejection port?

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I believe that picture is the viper.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would look nice nailed to a 4x4 gluelam beam.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are tough. Did I mention that it had a Remington footprint? Do you think the Viper would fit a Remington footprint? Most flat bottoms wouldn't. Look for the Predator, a round action{round} in the new products. Most of you guys can spot microscopic atoms on a custom gun and miss on this. I lost my faith in you.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the Predator:

You can read about them on viperactions.com/whats_new_index.htm

Btw, they may not be quite as far advanced with production as Jerry Stiller is with the Predator, but both Borden and Nesika also claim to be either selling or on the verge of selling M700 clones.

You can read about the Borden "Timberline" and "Alpine" actions on this page: www.bordenrifles.com/actions.shtml

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Mho,

You are more awake than I am and beat me to it. LOL Here is the other side.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's getting to be race to get the pictures posted first Wink

Btw, I think it is great there are these new M700 clones introduced by 1st class custom action makers. They will surely be true straight from the factory. There are a few other M700 clones out there (e.g. the Surgeon), but I can't get my browser to connect to that website right now, so I can't post a link.

One thing to be aware of, though, is that if you buy either product (at least the Predator) in the repeater form, you'll have to figure another $200 or so for a decent bottom metal, box, follower and mag spring. You might be able to do it cheaper with a M700 factory bottom metal, but for a custom rifle.... Then comes $50-200 for a trigger (Bruno's sells the Jewell you need for the Predator for $195 - that is the cheapest I have spotted). So all in all, the action could well approach $1000-$1050 before you are ready to barrel and stock...

A single shot action will be cheaper than the repeater - you only need a triggerguard for about $50 instead of the full bottom metal, and no box, follower or mag spring.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's getting to be race to get the pictures posted first

I give. thumb You are hours ahead of me. LOL I haven't even had my morning coffee.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Since you guys are the experts on these, why aren't there any gas relief ports on the side of the action?
Is gas from blown primers or ruptured cases vented some other way???

That is one nice looking action for a field use rifle. Barrel it up in 6.5 BR and take it coyote hunting!

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has a hole drilled in the bolt between the locking lugs. I guess that the gas would come down the raceways?
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stiller is also making a long action. He is trying to fit a 338 Laupa or 408 chey tac.

Magazine length to about 4"

He wants input on the new action over at www.benchrest.com

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Btw, they may not be quite as far advanced with production as Jerry Stiller is with the Predator, but both Borden and Nesika also claim to be either selling or on the verge of selling M700 clones.

How much are these true clones - able to make use of some (or much) of the huge maketplace of Remington 700 gadgets and accessories - and how much are they simply footprint clones, using Remington inletting and little more? I haven't been able to get that sort of detail on many of the clones.

To illustrate what I mean, I saw a McMillan-built action not long ago that had what appeared to be a standard Remington 700 bolt handle on what appeared to be a custom-dimensioned, sako extractor, but otherwise standard Remington bolt, which makes me think it was pretty much a clone of a trued-up Remington, much as I understand the Surgeon action is supposed to be.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask over on www.benchrest.com, the manufacturers of all these new actions post over there.

I don't know if the Predator qualifies as a "true" M700 clone, but it sure uses an awful lot of M700 after market parts: triggers, firing systems, mag boxes, bottom metals, extractors etc etc.

There are differences between the Predator and the M700, though. The bolt is made by Dave Kiff (of reamer fame). The magazine cutout has been extended compared to the M700 SA. The bolt stop has been moved onto the left side of the receiver bridge...

As far as I know, footprint and barreling technique of the Predator is true M700...

FWIW - mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I barreled mine in 300SAUM. It was a perfect fit in my McMillan short action stock. It has a longer bolt handle, which I like. I do not like the bolt knob though. I prefer a round one. I am using factory bottom metal and a Wyatt magazine box. It does have a Sako extractor, Jewell Rem. trigger, and the chambering is just the same as the Remington. One difference is you use 2 Remington front bases.
I ordered early and got both of mine for $600 ea. I under stand that they are now $695, with a discount for 5 or more. Mine is out for matt teflon.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I also got one of the magnum bolt face Predators, one of only 15 made so far. Mine is going to be a switch barrel 300 WSM/325 WSM for Alaska, using McMillan's Hunters EDGE stock, Jewel trigger, and factory bottom metal withthe Wyatt box. Is it true that Dave Kiff made the bolts? How does Jerry control the tolerances he claims if the bolts are not made in house? I like the Armoloy properties, but the looks of the coating on the bolt does not strike me all that well.

Posts: 34 | Location: Kenai, AK | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackfoot, Jerry wire EDMs the bolt bore and the raceways in the receiver body. He can hold the tolerence to just nothing. Dave grinds the bolt bodies to Jerry's specs. I don't like the looks of the Armoloy, but it is very durable.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch:

I met Jerry in the PTG Booth at the Shot Show he showed me his action. It is nice.
Can't wait to hear how yours shoots.
Longshot a/k/a Nat

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote