THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about a good explanation of double types?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All right guys, I am going to admit freely my ignorance in double rifles. I was hoping somebody could explain some things and how they work. This could get long, but hopefully there are others like me that wonder.

What are the differences and workings of the different types of locking methods, boxlock, sidelock etc.

Greener, you hear that sometimes, I know Greener was a company, what is it that the designed that is in use and referred to?

Greener style safety (different references than above) I see that NECG has one of these, how do they work and pro's con's?

any other info on these beautiful, unaffordable beasts is appreciated.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DR,

This is one of the best sites for double gun info.
Hallowells
It will get you started, especially with boxlocks, sidelocks, droplocks, etc.

As for Greener, get a copy of his book, 'The Gun and It's Devleopment" it's a classic first published in 1881 and available in trade paperback for about $20, 9th Ed. ISBN#1-58574-734-3

The Greener safety is a small kidney bean shaped button on the left side of a boxlock that. I believe it's advantage is that it takes away less wood and in a place where it's not needed for strength as much as a top tang safety which takes wood from a critical location.

Greener Safety

Recoil Rob

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does a greener safety work, can it only be used on doubles?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote