Find
Notify
Tools

Hogue overmolded pillar bedded synthetic stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
Just picked one up (cause it was too cheap to pass up, you know how that goes)

Anyway, I'll us it for my Rem 700 Varmint special in 243.. I'll glass in the recoil lug first thing..

My question is, can I use regular acraglas or acraglas gel, or do I need to use Steelbed, like you do with Bell & Carlson stocks?

also, I'm seeing a LOT of Remington factory synthetic stocks around and super cheap. I have another rifle in need of a stock replacement, are these worth the trouble? or is it that they are so cheap because they really are gar'bage?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of NRC
posted Hide Post
I'm not able to comment on the acraglas vs steelbed question - but I will suggest avoiding the remington factory synthetic stocks.

The last two I purchased I could flex in my hands.

Posts: 52 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Hogue stock on a howa 1500 sporter 243 I bought recently for the same reason as the op.super cheap..
It seems very flexible but shoots inside an inch out of the box.
I really don't like the rubbery feel to the stock and will replace it with wood.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
I have an older Remington "tupperware" stock -with checkering instead of the rubber panels bedded with Acraglas gel on my 721. It shoots sub MOA. Have not noticed flexing. The hogue I have on a 98 Mauser is not bedded but shoots almost as well.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote