Find
Notify
Tools

Win M70 3 pos. safety on a 670
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I have a win M670 carbine with a trigger safety. Can a m70 3 position be installed w/o much fuss.

Does win sell them to bubbas.

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no more fuss installing it in a 670 as there is in installing unfit parts in a regular model 70. You will need to come up with the bolt shroud with safety. I am not sure if you can use your trigger and sear; if it is the same as any model 70 after you remove the safety stuff it will work. I can't remember what the trigger looks like in a 670. I just installed a 670 firing pin in a beater pre 64 Win 70. I had to grind the safety notch in the firing pin and grind/stone the right front corner of the cocking piece just like I would have with a new unfit part.

The hard part will be getting the proper bolt shroud. As long as the bolt shroud screws on and locks in place and the gun cocks, the only fitting will be to the firing pin to make the safety work. I don't have a clue which bolt shroud(sleeve or whatever name)will work - pre 64, post 64 pushfeed(most likely) or Classic style

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 670 with the side sliding safety was only made the first year of Mfg.

You will have to find a post 1964 sleeve assembly, the 670's did not have the cap on the sleeve, until later in prodcution.

Your firing pin will have to be machined and fitted to the new safety lever, sleeve.

The old sliding safety will have to be removed, but you can use the old sear and trigger.

Good luck in your parts hunt.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Thanks you both. I'll probably leave the safety and trigger alone, maybe just get a new barrel.

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote