New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large ring/small thread Mauser to 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A client has sent a nice Oberndorf single square bridge action to be built into a .375 H&H. The action is an M98 with a large receiver ring and small barrel threads. Ordinarily, I would advise against a magnum cartridge on a small thread receiver, but the client really wants this to happen. I know some Husqvarnas were made with a small ring and small barrel threads and still chambered for magnum cartridges. Also, there isn't that much difference between a M70's 1.0" barrel shank and the 0.985" shank for a small thread Mauser; the biggest difference being the depth of the threads and the distance between the chamber wall and the bottom of the threads. Of course, this action will be re-hardened. So, what say ye? Is it absolutely unsafe to build a .375 H&H on this large ring/small thread action or can it be done with minimal danger of trouble like the Husqvarnas?

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have no fear.. Best advice I ran across is to make the threads nice and snug ( to add support)..realistically, the 375 is not a particularly hi pressure round

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Duane. If anyone has the right answer, its you!

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course, no issue.
But, just for discussion, I once re threaded a LR/ST Mauser 98 to one inch threads, thereby gaining the best of both worlds; 1.4 inch receiver ring and very thick walls, combined with a larger shank. Probably best would be a 1.4 receiver with 1.0625 (Remington) thread shank.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote