New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on sights for 30-06
 Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
I'm having a 30-06 built on a pre-64 Win. action and I ordered a #2 contour Walther barrel, 25". I had some sights installed from NECG. They are the : Classic Adjustable Rear Sight and the Masterpiece Banded Front Ramp. The barrel is still in the white and I'm taking it to the stock maker tomorrow... early.
The front sight looks a little large for the barrel....( at least to me it looks that way) .....and now I wish I had ordered the standard contour barrel or maybe some different sights.
My question is: what sights would you recommend for the rifle with that barrel contour? I'm planning on using Talley rings and I want the sights to be useful. The stock will be a classic style stock and the wood is bastogne.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, it may be just fine like it its but I thought I would get some opinions and maybe someone has used these sights before.
Thanks,
Terry

[ 09-28-2002, 05:43: Message edited by: Terry P ]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Terry
I assume that you probably have the #1200 Lothar Walter contour barrel (.575 at the muzzle). You could have a ramp front sight (which is less bulky) silver soldered in place. Then the barrel & sight would be more in proportion to one another.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your sight is perfect for what your building but one could use a NECG adjustable front sight and solder of screw it on or both. How much do you want for the barrel band front sight? If its cheap I'll buy it. I could probably find a use for it somewhere down the line..

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
Bear Claw,
You are correct. It is the #1200 Light Weight Sporter barrel. Some milling is yet to be done on the rear sight to lower it a tad more, according to the bore sighter, so this rear sight would need a tall front sight like the one I have.
The leaf sights that NECG offers may go well with the ramp sight and I may change to that.

Ray,
You may be right. It might be fine with the sights I have on it. The rifle is at the stock makers now in San Antonio so I'm going to let him stock it then take another look at it. At first glance they seemed a little bulky but with the stock fitted etc. it might look just fine.
If I decide to change I'll get in touch with you about the sights.

Thanks,
Terry