Notify
Tools

Re: which stock???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gringo, I applaud you.
For once, a person with a level head.
I am not going to put down any of the other stocks for they are all good in their own right.
Hogue makes by far the best off the shelf stock.
Their 'Overmoulded' technology give a nice rubber grip and deafens the hollow knock sound you get from many other synthetic stocks.
Also, bolt action models are pillar bedded with aluminum bar stock to stiffen things up and prevent overtightening which can split your stock.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/overmolded.html

Save yourself time and money and invest in a Hogue.

-Spencer

<9.3x62>
posted
If I were you, I'd found out just what type of stock fits you best, and then buy one. Mcmillan's are pricey, but they do offer a variety of different shapes (even sako-style designs) that may offer you the fit you want.

I think many folks don't think about stock fit until one day, after years of owning guns, they happen to shoulder some random rifle off a used rack and suddenly discover just how amazingly natural a well-fitted stock feels.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned all kinds of stocks. Brown are good, but largely passed by McM. McMillan's are great. I even use a number of injection molded stocks; when bedded correctly, they work.

However, if you want the best, choose McMillan or a custom stock such as Shehane (SP, hey, I am on the road).

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Save your money and buy a Hogue

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
exsanguinate

Given the choices I would say McMillian. I have never owned one but the ones I have seen and handled are very stiff. I have seen too many of the HS stocks that were not straight, at least in the barrel channel. It always makes me think the aluminum block is cock eyed. Even with the block most of them benefit from bedding. So what�s the point of the block? If you are handy with a dremmel tool and think you can tackle bedding one your self I would recommend a Hi-Tec Specialties. If you can do it your self it will cost half of what a McMillian is and to me be a much better looking and felling stock.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hs precision, bell and carlson medalist, mcmillian, boyds...which one should i get for my rem 700 LA?

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote