Notify
Tools

Need Opinions on barrel contour
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering a #3 SS Shilen for a 7MM-08
Or a #2 SS Shilen for a 260 Remington.
I would have the smith trim at least 1" off the shank for starters and finish it at 23-24"
I want a light sporter barrel weighing no more than 40oz that will group consistently 3 shots around 3/4 and 5 shots in 1" or less.

I have limited experience in custom barrels, I had one Ruger 300WM rebarreled with a #4 Shilen C/M that was awesome.

I just don't want to go that heavy again.

Thanks
Dave

Posts: 556 | Location: S.E. Washington | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Not that it answers your question but my next barrel will be a #3. The #1 is way to light IMHO for all but high country hunting.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
for a hunting rifle I always go the #1 or featherweight route.....but they mostly finish at 22".....and you want 24"

The accuracy of a light barrel is roughly the same as a heavy barrel.....it's a matter of personal preference. Don't get too exercised about the lighter barrel being less accurate.....there's nothing to suport that statement....at least where hunting accuracy is concerned.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A #3 Shilen is heavier than a standard barrel on a Rem 700 & a #2 is somewhat smaller at the muzzle, but due to the style of taper about the same weight as a 700 barrel.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO there's not a factory taper I like. They all seem excessive around the breech. My smith takes a shihlen #3 and slims it around the breech 'swamp' and then eases the taper so that it appears more gradual.

My 6mm rem, 6.5x55 and 7x57 all have this taper applied to shihlens, are all 24" and all group 3 in half inch or less.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, if I were doing this project it would be a #1 first and then the #2 contour. Should work just fine for what you are wanting. A lightweight barrel is going to work just fine as this doesn't sound like it will be a high round count varmit rig. Enjoy and lets see some pictures when completed.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I or should say the gunsmith just finished a 22-250AI with a #3 Shilen SS match barrel finished at 22" cut the shank of to get the contour I wanted. It's a nice light walk around rifle for the high country of Colorado for rock chucks. Our range goes to only 300yds and don't have any problem at 200yd but find really have to hold that rifle pretty hard at 300 and being as light as it is don't take much to be off target. Now for big game won't be a problem. I'd like to do a 284 but longer barrel so may be my next project. Well good luck.

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
For a lightweight barrel that shoots well, I like the barrel taper attributed to Burgess of .150" per foot. It results in a rapid taper the looks well and shoots well. I would go with a chamber cylinder .100 over thread size and 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inch long. Transition with an 1 1/2" radius and taper at .150" per foot to a muzzle diameter of .250 over bore diameter. It will shoot well, look well and is about as light as you can go and still get a level of accuracy you will be satisfied with, given the installation is done well.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can probably get a lighter barrel to shoot as well as a heavier one, but it gets easier the heavier and the stiffer the barrel is. That also means, the lighter the contour you choose, the shorter you may have to go (see further below).

Everybody have their own ideas of what is too heavy, just right and too light. I doubt you'll get two opinions that are much the same. One barrel maker (who obviously is often confronted with this question) suggests that you go at least .30" over caliber size for your muzzle diameter. A well known gun writer, suggests to go .36" over caliber size.

Well known rifle smith, Charlie Sisk had this to say about barrel contours over on 24 Hour Campfire: Thread containing Sisk advise on barrel contour and length. You'll have to scroll a bit to get to the top of the discussion.

Personally, I'm more of a "heavy barrel person". On my last project I went with a #3 contour on a .270 Win finished at 22". I don't find that contour to be excessive from an esthetic point of view. But naturally, the weight goes up a bit.

Btw, do you know of the spreadsheet to calculate barrel weights from Lilja's website?? Lilja Contour Page - With Link to Download Spreadsheet. Scroll down a bit...

Good luck - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I'd go with a 700 "mountain rifle" contour. Finished at 22.5 inches in either caliber. This is the lightest barrel contour I have used and it has proved to be capable (in half dozen or so different calibers) to be capable of 0.5 MOA, though three shots is all you can get before the barrel get quite hot. Pac-nor will do this contour for no extra charge - I've had them do so on three or four separate occasions in stainless.

Anyway, a #3 Shilen is WAY too heavy for a 7mm-08. Even a #2 is way too heavy. In fact, even a #1 Shilen weighs about as much as standard 700 contour because of its 2-3 inch straight barrel cylinder. I've had quite a number of #1-#4s. My 358 and 35 Whelen are built with #3 Shilens, and this, IMHO, is the perfect barrel for these two rounds.

Another thing - the Douglas featherweight is only slighty lighter than the standard 700 contour - it is not a true featherweight barrel. The 700 mountain rifle contour is a true featherweight barrel...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Anyway, a #3 Shilen is WAY too heavy for a 7mm-08.

I am not sure about the dimensions, but my 7x57 is either a #2 or #3 cut to 20". I am not near the rifle right now but it is a pretty heavy profile.

My preferance is for a short stiff tube in this class rifle. The 7mm-08 is a pretty effiecient round so it wont be severly hammered by the shorter tube. Ideal in my mind for this application would be a #3 cut to 21". If I was really trying to drop the wieght I would flute the forend of the barrel, ( 1/2 flute ) which will drop a couple of ounces. That would get your total weight down into the
40 oz range, and the only real downside is the flute uglies which I am not a big fan of. Another very pricey but elegant option is an octagonal.

A #1 featherwieght is very light and shot stringing on mutliple round groups is a high probability. I have never had good luck of any kind with light profile barrels and tight groups, in my mind they are mutually exclusive concepts.

Another good place to read on this is Lilja's website, Dan has done some very good writeups on rifle barrels:

Here is the weight calculation: http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/barrel_making/contoured_weight_calculations.htm

Rigidity write up is here:
http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/barrel_making/rigidity_benchrest_rifles.htm

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Quote:

A #1 featherwieght is very light and shot stringing on mutliple round groups is a high probability. I have never had good luck of any kind with light profile barrels and tight groups, in my mind they are mutually exclusive concepts.

Try a pac-nor in 700 mountain rifle contour in, say a 260 or 257 Roberts. If my sample is indicative of the population, you will be in for a VERY pleasant surprise. A properly bedded action with either a floated or pressure-pointed barrel should be capable of more than acceptable accuracy, unless the barrel steel is of unusually poor quality.

I've had a 7mm-08 on a 700 SA with a 23" Shilen #3 - too heavy for my taste. I also had a 24" #4 Shilen 35 Whelen on a 721 action - also too heavy for my taste. I had a 23" #2 Shilen in 7x57 - too heavy for my taste.

I prefer medium length barrels (22-23"). Too much shorter and the volume starts to increase, too much longer and I'm just adding weight for marginal ballistic improvement.

JMO...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a #3 SS Shilen 7x57 on a Mauser. I wish I had used a #2. The #3 is really heavy.

Clemson

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've had a 7mm-08 on a 700 SA with a 23" Shilen #3 - too heavy for my taste. I also had a 24" #4 Shilen 35 Whelen on a 721 action - also too heavy for my taste. I had a 23" #2 Shilen in 7x57 - too heavy for my taste.

We all are different, and what makes one happy, bores the next. Thats no problem.

Barrel length is very relevent to cartridge and case effeciency. Effecient and slightly underbore cartridges do better with shorter tubes. I prefer the shorter tube for handling reasons, and for me your 7x57 is 3" too long. Which is a fair amount of ounces that could be trimmed, my guess is 6-8 oz minimum. When a bolt action rifle gets longer than 24" it becomes more of a prone shooting sandbagger, that I carry only short distances. My carry 30 mag is 24" and several of my not effiecient cartridges sport 23". Doesn't mean I don't own others, I just won't pack them, they catch on alder branches when I am packing them, the balance is wrong for offhand shooting.

There is no right or wrong here just what suits you. And yes I am aware of rifle makers that specialize in the light rifles, Jarrett, H&S, and others and they get respectable groups out of them.

I am not a real light rifle fan to start with. 8lbs has always been my ideal, in lower recoilng calibers trim 1/2 lb, and add at least 1/2 lb for heavier cartridges. ( none of your list qualifies. But balance to me is much more important than weight, I can live with a little heavy, I can't with bad balance.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Whatever floats your boat.

However, 3" of lightweight sporter barrel weighs no where near 6-8 oz. I have a 2" section of #4 Shilen (35 caliber) that weighs just under 2 oz. I'll bet 3" of a lightweight barrel might weigh 2oz, maybe a touch more.

I would like short barrels, but volume goes up noticeably when you get now near 20" and lower. My ears are bad enough as it is...

one of us
posted Hide Post
length does matter.

I jjsut did a custom shilen #2 in 280 AI. it was too heavy. I had it custom fluted to take it to .100 minimum at an inch ahead of the 26 inch muzzle, and it is now balanced, accurate, and half pound lighter than it was.

A shillen #3 is a48 ounce barrel in your caliber, unless you lop it chop it crop it... I would go with a No1 or No 2 lightly fluted (say flutes of .04 depth). I had mine taken to .5 deep, and that may be a bit radical for stainless in cold climate areas. ALthough that leaves still a full caliber around the bore at a point about six inches ahead of the chamber end.

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I'm a pain in your butt, but this is about barrels.
(I'm still confused on ss as many of us are.)
If your fluteing was after market would that void the warranty?
Why flute instead of getting the manufacture to turn it
down a bit?
Would you get ss for a hunting rifle?
Just wondering, as I have both types of steel, the ss is
on a range rifle, and with the ss problem, I don't think
i'd go that way again.
With the solvents availible I don't think cleaning much of an issue. And the oils people boast of their rust preventive
properties.
I'm not trying to be smart here, and I think some hotshot
barrel makers only use ss. but is this stuff, and fluteing
a fashon, or a real use?
Sorry to have annoyed you previously, it's just my way of
thinking and writing. eg convoluted.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have about decided to go to a #3 Shilen in a 260 chambering. Using Lilja's calculator if I chop the shank to 1.25 before threading and finish it at 23" it should come out at 40-42oz which is my target. I would rather it be a little heavy and less fussy than go lighter. If it didn't live up to expectations I would always wonder if heavier wouldn't have been better.

Dave

Posts: 556 | Location: S.E. Washington | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With Quote