Find
Notify
Tools

Good News About 404 Jeffery Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well it's good news to me at least!

Andy at Sunny-Hill will machine their #440 Bottom Metal (375H&H length, drop box) to the Correct Dimensions for the 404 Jeffery. For an extra $30.

Not being able to get the correct Bottom metal
for the 404 Jeffery has been the hold up for me on the 404. Now that I can get the correct bottom metal I'm going to go ahead with the 404 Jeffery.

Can anyone verify that these are the correct dimensions? I found these dimensions from old AR posts.
I believe these two were listed as from Alf's Original 404 Jeffery

the first was in metric:
Width Rear 25.8 mm
Width Front 23.8 mm

My conversion to inches if correct:
Width Rear 1.02"
Width Front 0.94"

An additional one in inches listed as Alf's Original 404 Jeffery:

Rear 1.016"
Front 0.937"

And one listed as from urdubob (said to be from an Original M98 Jeffery)

Width Front 0.885
Width Rear 0.946

Can any one verify any these dimensions?

Also does anyone have either, pictures of or a drawing and dimensions of the "window" cut outs in the front sides of the mag?

When Andy has the dimensions anyone can call up Sunny-Hill and order the 404 Jeffery Bottom Metal.

I'm excited, as this will make building a 404 Jeffery a lot simpler and be able to have reliable feeding and functioning a lot easier.

It still won't be cheap but it sure helps.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen.

The one 404 Obendorf that I had in the shop years ago was as follows.

ID rear width, 1.010
ID front width, .950, raduis in front aprox .200 dia
ID length inside, 3.650

I hope this helps.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, thank you Jim,

Will your Magnum Follower work or does it need a larger dish for the case to rest in correctly.

If it does need a bigger dish will your's work
with a bit of machining make it fit the case?

Or if not, what Follower should I use?

Allen

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 404 follower and the 416 Remi follower are almost interchangeable. Just a slightly differnet OA length.
I think I have a few of the 416 Remi followers left somewhere. I will have to do some looking for them.

The 375 follower that I make on the CNC and inventory is to narrow in the front and will not work.

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim,

When ever you find it, give me a holler and I'll take one. No hurry though. As you know it will be at least 2 or 3 days before I will need it Big Grin !

Allen