New
Find
Notify
Tools

No dumb questions, but!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Remington 700 two piece weaver base. Which goes in the rear? The thicker, taller one?
Or the thinner shorter one?

Thanks

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Fat back,

35 m700front
36 m700 rear

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
https://www.weaveroptics.com/w-mount-charts.html

there's a PDF link with the chart

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, that’s how my 700 is but I was looking at it today and wondered. Do I have these on correctly?

one of us
posted Hide Post
But!

Are 35 and 36 contoured for the barrel. My bases are on the flat of the receiver.

The reason for all this is I am trying to improve a friends rifle.
TC Encore with a Bergera barrel. A previous owner had a pic rail on it. Modified the rail by adding Twp holes near the front in order to bend it down to fit contour.
Even I know that isn’t correct.
To simply mount a scope on this rifle there were 18 screws. 12 on the rings and six on the base.
So the real question in the end is what bases for a bergera barrel on a TC encore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The answer to your question is on page 15 of the Weaver mount chart.

What does the Bergera barrel have to do with it ?

Remington receivers do not have a flat.

35 and 36 contoured for the barrel ??? They don't go on the barrel.

Posts: 793 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC Encore single shot. Bases go on the barrel. What is making it difficult for me is it has a bergera barrel. When you look at the charts bergera has the same contour as Remington 700.
But I now realize that is bergera and Remington actions not the barrel.

So now I am back to square one. The leupold base for a TC does fit the holes but the forward end of mount is not against the barrel because of the barrel contour. This being the case I assume a TC barrel carries its full thickness further forward.

Not sure where we will go from here

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What is your actual question? Bases for a Rem 700, or a base for a TC The hardest task in the problem solving process, is writing the problem statement. Which has not been done here. It seems we are focused on killing alligators, when all we want to do is get to the other side of the swamp.
If there are no dumb questions, what kind of questions do dumb people ask?

Posts: 17277 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes.. sometimes it just doesn’t come out correctly. I was trying to get steered in the right direction in order to answer a question with some direction rather than just outright ask the question.
It seems that made me look dumber than usual!

A friend has a TC Encore that he hadn’t used in a long time. He feels he is going to draw a PA elk tag this year. He asked me to work up a load using Barnes bullets.
In the process I realized his scope was so high that a person’s cheek was way off the rifle. Had a picattiny rail and some brand of massive rings for the scope. The BARREL is factory drilled for bases but a previous owner had two extra holes drilled forward. This actually put those new holes on the slope of the barrel. Then they drill extra holes in the rail and screw the rail down bending it.
I know this is not correct
Bought Leupold bases and rings for the TC. When bases were in stalled the front of the base is not tight to the barrel

So I was looking for what would be what I considered a proper base. Turns out after much research including calls to weaver and Leupold this is correct for a rifle barrel.
A muzzleloader barrel carries its thickness further forward and there is no base gap.

So I don’t think I have a question anymore.

Will I ask another dumb question. YEP!!!