New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turning/Inletting Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
May have asked earlier, but will again, any good sources on having blank turned to rough shape and inletted for typical Mauser 98(VZ24)action?? Not a problem doing the final inletting, shaping, etc., just need it shaped and the so called 95% inletting done. All input appreciated.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I recommend you contact Show-me Gunstocks, Warsaw, Missouri, (660) 438-4568.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will second John's comment. I have had several stocks turned by Donnie Gemes at Show-Me and he does great work at a reasonable price. His turn time is the best I have found, usually 10 days. If you speak NASCAR that is a plus with Donnie!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Much appreciate the info and will contact today.
I actually wrote it down on paper this time and will not lose it, promise! Thanks again.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question is, will Show Me have the pattern that you want? And second, will that pattern be correct for your particular mauser?

I think its much better to get a semi inlet made out of real cheap wood, inlet and glass bed your action into that semi inlet, and then have your good stock using your good wood made from that one. That way you can shape the pattern to your liking, and you know that the mortises are going to be correct for your particular action.

Sure, you will pay a few bucks more to go around the ring twice, but in the long run, if you are using real nice wood, it will probably be worth it, not matter who you use.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Check out www.gunstocks.com they have some really nice traditional mauser sporter styles

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3060 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote