New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a muzzle loader?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I can't imagine that it would be too terribly difficult for one to build there own muzzle loader. So, the question on the tip of my tongue is, are there any good books showing verious actions, and are there any good suppliers of barrels?

Rather then wack down a double to make a howdah, I was thinking of making my own.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try out Track of the Wolf.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Fireplug>
posted
One of the Universities in the South published a series of books intended to be an encyclopedia of early American technology, for lack of a better term, and one of these focused on the manufacture of muzzleloaders and their possibles. The series was called "The Firefox Books", but I do not recall the number for this volume.

Fireplug

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fireplug:
One of the Universities in the South published a series of books intended to be an encyclopedia of early American technology, for lack of a better term, and one of these focused on the manufacture of muzzleloaders and their possibles. The series was called "The Firefox Books", but I do not recall the number for this volume.

Fireplug

This was the Foxfire series of books on early Americana. A truly fun series of books, 12 or 13 altogether I believe. The one that dealt with gunsmithing approached it from the standpoint of making your own, barrel and all. I have long ago lost track of my own collection of these, but I highly recommend them to all who have an interest in Americana. It was the one on gunsmithing that got me started down the path to blackpowder shooting, which was not very popular at the time of publication of the Foxfire book. You may have to resort to used book dealers to find these today. Thanks for the memory!!, Fireplug.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
Again, Try track of the wolf. They have a huge catalog that shows pictures of completed "kits". These are NOT cva or even t/c kits. They cater to the experienced builder. If you are a novice builder, you may want to consider a T/C kit.