THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK, which barrel makers use 416 stainless?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Who uses what type of stainless steels in their barrels?

hart? shilen? krieger? Pacnor? schneider? who uses what?

and hkow about the regulars? remchestavage?

thanks

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Who uses what type of stainless steels in their barrels?

hart? shilen? krieger? Pacnor? schneider? who uses what?

and hkow about the regulars? remchestavage?

thanks

Well, if ya don't buy that crud, ya don't need to know.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking to avoid 416, not to buy it.

Thanks for the meaningful input.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did see on the Remington website that the military rifle is made of 416R. That is Crucible Steel's version [lower sulphur] of 416. The stainless steels that are used as far as I know are 416, 416R,[both are sulphur containing free machining grades] 17-4PH, 174SXR [Crucible version of 17-4PH]. You would have to ask each maker specifically what they use.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Sorry....I can't tell you which companies use which type of stainless.....I wish I could.....I assume you're reacting (reasonably) to the Sako thing with failed rifles.....both actions and barrels.......

I, too, would avoid stainless rifles for a time but deep down I believe the problem will be found to be a "SAKO problem" and not a 416 stainless problem.

I have a 416 heavy barrel in .243 that I'll use for prairie dogs all the time the investigation goes on. However I'll not use any more stainless until the investigation is over.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jamister

I thought all of the custom barrel makers used some type of 416 Stainless.

Would you please fill us in on your concerns??

Ray

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No worries mate, but if you buy chrome/etc you don't get
416, get it now? :-)
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I believe the problem will be found to be a "SAKO problem" and not a 416 stainless problem.

Well,if so what about the other failures, from at least
two other barrel makers that I personally know of.
One claimes he didn't get the quality that he ordered,(and
he has a certificate of quality that wasn't quite right.)
So who is going to trust whom? All were heavy wts.to boot.
John L.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I have one stainless made by Pac-Nor and another made by Montana Rifleman. The Pac-Nor is a 6.5-284 bought about 4 yrs ago. The Montana is chambered in the 25-284 bought about two years ago. Montana on there web site say they use 416R, Pac-Nor makes no reference to what they use but I guess they are using 416 to.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, if you are assuming that the problem is sulphur - 4140 [chrome-moly] has been available in a free machining grade [high sulphur] though I don't know if this is being used .IIRC it was used way back in WWII !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personaly I use about 10 416R barrels per year and up until I got out of the barrel selling business earlier this year 99% were 416R stainless. I sold 1200-2000 per year. This is the first that I have heard of it and I dealt with gunsmiths throughout USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia. I think and stand to be corrected, but almost all barrel makers use 416R. Lother Walther has 17-4 available. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the input!!

If there are thousands of these made, and if 416 has been the material of choice, then I am no longer concerned regarding 416 barrels, but I will take care to not flute any more to ultra-minimum tolerances if they are going to be used in extreme cold....

I wonder now if the Sako barrel peeling problem is more of a quality-of-steel problem than a type-of-steel problem, even if we see a move toward other steel types.. That is, maybe the material did not meet specs, as opposed to specs not meeting application. These are two very different questions, and Beretta had best provide the answer or face a loss of brand loyalty.

Jameister