New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 gauge choke
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to ream out the choke in my remmy 1100(full) to 1/2 choke, can anyone tell me the diameter for 1/2choke and how far does the choke go down the inside of the barrel?
It currently measures .700" I intend to use a 6 blade adjustable reamer is this the best way?

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by griff:
I would like to ream out the choke in my remmy 1100(full) to 1/2 choke, can anyone tell me the diameter for 1/2choke and how far does the choke go down the inside of the barrel?
It currently measures .700" I intend to use a 6 blade adjustable reamer is this the best way?

regards
griff

The 12 gauge bore is .729. There are 4 points of constriction on the 12 gauge barrel from full choke to bore. Each point is .010. Therefore:

Full .689
Improved Modified .699
Modified .709
Improved Cylinder .719

And every other odd duck size in between. Big Grin

I don't have one at the moment to measure, but the length from where the taper begins to the muzzle is about 2 inches +/-. The actual part you will be opening, the parallel section of the choke, is about 1 inch +/-.

Clamp the barrel vertically in a padded vise and feed the reamer straight down (with gravity) in very small increments. Use a large tap handle, plenty of cutting oil and keep the pressure "uniform". Keep the adjustments small. Start .002 over choke and increase the diameter at intervals of no more than .002 per pass to avoid trouble.

FWIW, for "Steel shot" use, I open 12 gauge chokes to .705.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
westpac,
thanks for that. My next question would of been regarding steel shot but have answered that.

many thanks
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote