THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a bright polished action a dull grey...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any ideas? Preferably some sort of chemical like a gun black that doesn't alter dimensions of the metal or its hardness. This is for a boxlock shotgun BTW.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might consider having it Parkerized.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
You mean like a French gray finish?

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, like a french grey.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
yes, like a french grey.

Try French Grey... Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the french grey process that I've used to emulate a Browning Pigeon grade grey:
Blue the piece,
Then etch it slightly with dilute Ferric Chloride etchant (I use Radio Shack's Printed Circuit Board etchant cut with 60% pure water)
Then clear coat.
This gives a soft grey finish

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try French Grey...

Hmm! Not now called "Freedom" Grey then?

Thanks for the reply about the circuit board etchant I had read that thread earlier and think that I will try that route.

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
+1 on Radio Shack PCB etch-I have used it.

Also, sand blasting from 15-18" away (test!) may just wipe the shine off a bit.

Something silly though-make sure that the bright finish is polished in and not applied (nickel or something similar). Nothing suggested here will help, you'd have to chem strip it and finish it how you want it.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something silly though-make sure that the bright finish is polished in and not applied (nickel or something similar).

No. It is the result of a stupid fashion in England in the 1960s to use a polishing wheel to remove the last vestiges of an old finish from the actions of boxlock (and sidelock) shotguns. It certainly was corroasion resistant, cheaper than re-colouring but left them a very bright polished white metal.

It was called "Old English silver finish". It is really very very shiny bright almost like the action is chrome or nickel plated...which it isn't. I'm trying to dull it back down so that it doesn't reflect the sun so much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
way back...I was a Bowning dealer..From Morgan UT...bead blast with the finest glass beads, "blacken" the engraving with paint , printers ink...whatever...then spray with lacquer..Ti will match exactly the pigeon grade...cause this is the way they did it!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote