New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kar Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Kar 98 complete action that I would like to eventually build something on. If I'm looking right, this is a small ring, large ring thread 98. What can I build on this? '06 would be ok with me, but am wondering about other carts i.e. wondering about pressure problems. What can it handle?
Thanks,
Mike Allred

Mike Allred

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The KAR small ring has very thin metal in places on the front receiver ring. Probably best to stick with a low pressure round such as the 7 x 57. Years ago I had one that had very slight lug setback when the military barrel was removed, so I would also think about maybe having it heat treated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one in .257 Roberts, it's fired a few hundred rounds of Win +P with no ill efects. The Germans fired 8x57 in them!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:
I've got one in .257 Roberts, it's fired a few hundred rounds of Win +P with no ill efects. The Germans fired 8x57 in them!

Yes, and the Germans stopped making them too. Think about it. If they were ok as-is the Germans never would have developed the K98k or the co-opted the G33/40 would they?

Have it inspected by some one who knows what they are doing and relegate it to a lower pressure round to be used during hunting season.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote