New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLYGONAL BARRELS???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of building a 257 Roberts AI with a polygonal 24 or 25 Inch barrel. What is the general thinking from the "experts".
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert but, PAC-NOR is experimenting with the Army on a .223 polygonal barrel, testing it for accuracy life. I was going to get their .204 barrel in polygonal but, I chickened out and got the standard rifling. You could call PAC-NOR and talk to them about it, they're quite good about answering questions.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Mcmillian NRA Match rifle, in 308.
I use it for Palma Matches and 1000 yard Any Any.
It is not a true "Palma" rifle, it has a 26 inch bbl and I shoot 185 Berger VLD's in it. It is very accurate and very, very easy to clean.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
anyone got a photo of the shape of a "polygonal" barrel??

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YUMAN:
I am thinking of building a 257 Roberts AI with a polygonal 24 or 25 Inch barrel. What is the general thinking from the "experts".
Lyle

Heckler & Koch uses polygonal rifled barrels on all their rifles---or at least they did. I own a HK 300 [.22 WMR] and have owned several HK 630s. They were all shooters. The HK 630 was exceptionally accurate. With the right ammo it would put 5 shots in a dime at 100 yards. That is very good for a semi-auto sporting rifle.

Lothar Walther also sells polygonal blanks in various calibers. They tout the long barrel life.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
I've owned a couple of H&K rifles (before our "wonderful" Prime Minister stole them from me) and found their accuracy quite impressive.

It is my understanding that quality polygonal barrels have a much longer life than conventionally rifled barrels. I remember reading an article about this in the International Defence Review magazine, some years back, and it stated that H&K had tried to establish the life of their 5.56 barrels but gave up the trial when the test rifle had fired something in the order of 36,000 rounds without any appreciable wear!!!!

I have always wanted to build an "everyday" hunting rifle with a polygonal barrel. By everyday, I mean a rifle that I can shoot a lot without it suffering excessive barrel wear and, of course, providing get good accuracy - but I haven't been able to establish a source of polygonal barrels that can easily be imported into Australia.

Which companies are providing polygonal barrels?

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Desert Eagle barrels are POLYGONAL!

At least the 44 Magnum that I had was.

I don't know the reason behind it, but in the book it specifically says do not use cast bullet in a POLYGONAL barrel! Probably due to the added bearing on the bullet as it goes down the barrel! The bullet actually changes from "round" to "POLYGONAL"(flat sided)!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book rifles in america has pictures of polygonal barrels as they were first designed by the germans in WW11. VAN

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote