Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mauser action rankings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Its not a millsurp, but for building a custom Mauser I think its real hard to beat a JC Higgins FN action. After that I like the German M-98's, BRNO's and VZ-24's.

One point that often gets overlooked as well is the strength of the Yugo M-48's, they may well be the strongest of them all. If their limited length is something that can be worked around that could be beneficial. Depends on what your looking for I guess.

I believe that Brownells also has the Mauser rifles NRA reprint.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr,

How did you arrive at the notion that the M48 might be the strongest? Given their crude machining they'll certainly require much more cleanup than any of the aforementioned actions.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Some of the top riflesmiths I've known have been very partial to the 1909 Argentine Mauser, and it would probably be one of my top choices for a fine custom Mauser.

But the 1935 Chilean is superb, especially if you're out to build a 7X57, and I like the VZ-24 as well.

Of course the VZ-33 and G-33/40 are highly desirable for light rifles, but you really don't save THAT much weight by going with those, and you pay a premium for them.

Good, intelligent riflesmithing is the key to getting the most out of any of them.........

AD

Wise comment !

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

And should you get a CD receiver with problems don't count on CD to make good, they won't!

Charles Daly's warranty is as good as Bill Clinton's morality.....well....maybe not that good!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote