New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 336 35 Rem to 356 Win?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I assume it could be done since Marlin once offered their 336 in 356 Winchester. What'd be involved in this conversion besides re-chambering? Any estimate of cost?

Thanks. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a very relevant discussion of this topic on 24hourcampfire under Marlin Lever Actions and something like ".375 Winchester in .38-55". IIRC they mention at least one smith that does this conversion. Use only MODERN 336s.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go over to the Marlin 336 section on 24HourCampfire, you will find that we have beaten this dead horse extensively.

If you have a Marlin 336 currently chambered in 35 Remington, Missouri gunsmith Regan Nonneman will rechamber it to 356 Winchester for around $125, at least that was his price the last time that I checked. There is also a guy who will rebore/rechamber a Marlin 336 in 30-30 to 356 for around $150, but I have not had this done.

I have had 3 Nonneman converstions, 2 in 35 to 356 and 1 in 30-30 to 307. Nonneman is a 1st class 'smith. All the work that I have seen him do was done to the highest standards, no corners cut to make the job go faster.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the dead horse section on the other forum.

I figured I wasn't likely to be the first to think of this one. It came to me last night while I was mentally bemoaning the fact that I'm considering a semi-obsolete Winchester caliber for a lever action pig gun project the same darn year Winchester packs it in. Idiot. Why not last year?! When M94 XTR's were almost reasonable?

Given the prices I've seen recently for the Winchesters I'm thinking of just buying a new or recent vintage Marlin 336C and having it converted if it's possible, which it sounds like it is.

Thanks again. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WSJ,
You might thank Winchester for doing you a favor.
Just get a one of the later non-safety Marlins and you will not miss the Winchester.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote