New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chuck removal - need help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a Portalign tool at a pawn shop for $4 that I intend to use to drill stock swivel holes and other chores. My problem is that I can't figure out how to remove the 3/8" chuck from my Black and Decker drill! I loosened the lock screw in the center of the chuck, but I'm at a loss as to how to lock the drive shaft so I can unscrew the chuck. Can anyone walk me through this?

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
First, peer down the center of the chuck and see if there is a screw at the bottom.It's been a while since I've looked at the B&D, but, I believe that is a left hand thread on that B&D. I may be wrong, anyway, close the chuck. With the chuck key still in the chuck, smack it with a mallet first counter clockwise. If it didn't loosen, then open the chuck all the way and doit again only clockwise. Usually a quick rap with a mallet will loosen it without a shaft lock. Good luck!

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
The chucks are usually threaded on the spindle. The screw you removed is a lock screw to prevent things from coming unscrewed on a reversible drill.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
After removing the left hand thread lock screw from inside the chuck, just put in a 5/16 allen wrench in with the short leg in the chuck. Give the long arm a good whack and it will release with no problem.
Chuck arbor is right hand thread.

[ 11-12-2002, 00:33: Message edited by: Bob G ]

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
Some chucks have a Jacobs taper on the spindle. It takes a set of chuck wedges to remove it. Any Jacobs dealer will stock a set of wedges cheap.

Sometimes you can knock off the chuck as stated above, but I'd get the wedges. cheap insurance.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Usually the tapered shafts are on drill presses, not the 3/8" B&D handheld drill that Bobster has [Smile]

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
True, I do however have, one each, a 3/8's and a half inch Milwaukie Holeshooter with a tapered spindle. Just making a suggestion as I have seen several B&D drills that did have a tapered spindle, as well as several with the standard threaded spindle.

[Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I took so long to thank you guys, but my wife has been in the hospital and I have been otherwise occupied. Whacking the chuck key with a rubber mallet worked like a charm.

Inertia is a wonderful thing!

Bobster

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Portalign works like a charm with the Lee trimmer,the handle is the same height as the base.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Bobster,

I hope your wife is doing better!

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote