New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock shaping tool
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I saw one of these at the local hardware store and it looked like a brilliant idea for rough shaping the outside of a blank: Chainsaw disc

Anybody here ever tried one?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Never played with one. I can see splintering. I'll stick to my duplicator. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got to be shitting me

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Nicholson raps, files, etc. along with wood chisels and planes.

The Stanley plane below hasn't work well for mesquite, but it peels off the walnut quickly and is easy to use.

http://www.stanleytools.com/de...Small+Trimming+Plane

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I saw one of these at the local hardware store and it looked like a brilliant idea for rough shaping the outside of a blank: Chainsaw disc

Anybody here ever tried one?

Maybe for shaping this rifle:

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch a gunstock with one of those.

If you do get one, invest in the kevlar gloves they sell to protect your hands. A friend carved chainsaw art with one for a while. He cut all the tendons in the back of his left hand, even after surgery, came out fairly useless. They grab and kick back real bad.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Kinda reminds me of that pic Duanne posted of his powered roughing tool. Big Grin

Too easy to remove wood and too hard to put it back on. Probably not a good tool for me.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Kinda reminds me of that pic Duanne posted of his powered roughing tool. Big Grin

The exact same thing came to my mind.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned to remove excess with a router and a high speed bit. I use a band saw, too. After the 'rough' removal, a Nicholson #49 Patternmaker works just fine for me. The 'details' are left to smaller tools, all hand powered. That tool you posted looks like an accident waiting to happen. You must have Obama Care?

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use a bandsaw and a hatchet.
Not kidding.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like a tool made for a trip to the ER

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I've tried them, but prefer a sanding disc with 16 grit.removes wood just about as fast, but easier to control and leaves a tolerable finish. Still use my wood hog for roughing

That wood hog of yours is not for the faint of heart! Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
A horse hoof rasp is about as radical as I get.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
A horse hoof rasp is about as radical as I get.

I have one of those as well. That really takes the wood off. Have to be carefully because it takes a lot of clean up to remove the gouges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
An older local gunsmith uses a right angle grinder with a flap wheel disc mounted in a vise (outside). He can rough out a stock in very little time and he really does decent work.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a band saw and a 6x48 belt sander with 60 grt. belt. the band saw or even a table saw will cut wood with angles and the belt sander will round the angles off. I have also used a hatchet, but if you get carried away and laz with any of this aggressive stuff you can ruin a stock in a hurry...I like to leave a lot of wood for the cabinet rasps..and at some poing I really like to shape a stock with a scraper or some sort as opposed to rasps. My favorite scrapers are a pocket knife, a hack saw blade thats been ground flat on both sides of the edge.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote