New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cocking Piece Peep
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I agree that the cocking piece peep sights are classic looking, but how accurate are they? I’m speaking primarily about repeatability... especially on Mausers, where the cocking piece has a tendency to have a certain amount of play.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Accurate enough to hit a deer in the chest at 100 yards. Even 200 or 250. They do move a tiny bit but not more than the shooter does. We are not talking about long range shots.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have examined original Rigby rifles with cocking piece peep sights. In order to promote repeatability, Rigby filed the flat nose of the cocking piece into a point and the sear with a matching VEE. The cocking piece was forced to center in the sear with less variance than the standard M98 set up. While I did not get to fire the rifle, I'd venture the max. effective range was limited by the iron sights and not the way the peep sight returned to battery each time the bolt was cycled.
Cheers.
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Accurate enough to hit a deer in the chest at 100 yards. Even 200 or 250. They do move a tiny bit but not more than the shooter does. We are not talking about long range shots.

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They don't move at all if they are installed properly..Jack Belk did one for me that was rock solid for many years until I sold it for more than I could turn down..He showed me how but I forgot, we elders do that a lot, forget! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote