New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about the small ring Husqvarna actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The action I am talking about is a 30-06 lenght small ring with the 3 rd locking lug.

They were made in the 60s and 70s and sold as HVA. Some were also marketed by Smith & Wesson.
They had a different style bolt stop and ejector.

Is there some reason no one uses these to build rifles. They had aluminum bottom metal but it seems there would be a steel version that could me modified to fit.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think these are great actions! The very early actions had steal bottom metal. I think a lot of folks just don't like the position of the bolt release. Makes custom stocks look awkward.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A gunmaker told me that, With some cutting and welding, a 1909 bottom metal can be fit to these.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have one that was customized by Steve Berg and he used commercial steel FN bottom metal and said it fit with no additional modification.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I have one that was customized by Steve Berg and he used commercial steel FN bottom metal and said it fit with no additional modification.

Maybe I'm thinking of the Mexican? Confused

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figured something could be made to fit the bottom.

I have seen plenty of the aluminum assys on the rifles but I never ran into a steel one except on the large ring HVA.

I think it is curious that people are so fixated on VZ 33s and G33-40s and never look at this action.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
My wife's .30-06 is built on one using Jerry Fisher bottom metal and a Lapour 3-position safety. The bottom metal fit without issue and the whole thing is about the trimist rifle I have held (when my wife will let me).

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swedens most popular rifle for customising hva1900.

The rifle is now made in italy.
http://www.fritidvildmarksliv...._1900_std_14974.html

VOvapen make custom rifles from them.
www.vovapen.com

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1900 steel bottom made by PO Stenmark swedish gunmakers guild.

http://www.kolvmakeri.se/index.php?page&id=3

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Backsides of the HVA 1600 series (as they where named here in Swe) is in my opinion the following:

-The extractor doesn't pull in on the case as the true M-98 does. It' like a M-96 and will snapp over a tight case like a pushfeed.

-Extractors is impossible to get if they break, a M-96 extractor is possible to modify though.

-The original trigger is integrated with the safety. The trigger is no good and not suitable to modify. The tang of the action needs work to remove signs of the safety assembly if you want to replace the safety/trigger with anything better.

-Ugly and no good boltstop. There is a way around this to if you want to skip the ugly cut and hard to get to button for the bolt release. You have to put your little finger or a small stick into the action to press down the stop. But you dont get the ugly cut in the stock and theres not much more difficult to get the bolt out with the original set up.

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not really see these issues as any more significant that the normal stuff done to M98s that could be more than 100 years old and might be from any arsenal.
The HVA do have more modern heat treat and the workmanship is not bad.

quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:
Backsides of the HVA 1600 series (as they where named here in Swe) is in my opinion the following:

-The extractor doesn't pull in on the case as the true M-98 does. It' like a M-96 and will snapp over a tight case like a pushfeed.

Polishing the chamber makes this a non-issue. In fact it is pretty much a non-issue with any rifle.

-Extractors is impossible to get if they break, a M-96 extractor is possible to modify though.

I have more broken M98 extractors so I am not concerned unless safe pressures are exceeded. To prevent broken extractors polish the chamber.

-The original trigger is integrated with the safety. The trigger is no good and not suitable to modify. The tang of the action needs work to remove signs of the safety assembly if you want to replace the safety/trigger with anything better.

Agreed about the tang shape.

-Ugly and no good boltstop. There is a way around this to if you want to skip the ugly cut and hard to get to button for the bolt release. You have to put your little finger or a small stick into the action to press down the stop. But you dont get the ugly cut in the stock and theres not much more difficult to get the bolt out with the original set up.
The bolt stop does not bother me a lot.

Some day G33-40s will be gone. What will be its replacement?