THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diff. between pre 64 and new classic mod 70?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the difference between the pre 64 model 70 design and the new CRF model 70 classic? Is one superior to the other? Is the current build quality as good as the pre 64? What parts will interchange?

------------------
J.W.
Hero of the Hapless
Master of the Obvious

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JW,

The current action is a longer action by close to.3"

The current action is a 2 piece bolt with the bolt handle spined on and brazed.

Pre 64s had case hardened bolts. This tends to make for slicker working bolt.

The current action has a slot through the right hand bolt lug which rides along the right rail and acts as a bolt guide. Pre 64s tend to have a sloppier Mauser type feel than the current action.

The current action has a gas blocking device on the left hand side of the bolt.

There are probably some others but that is the best I can do.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike.

Which do you prefer?

------------------
J.W.
Hero of the Hapless
Master of the Obvious

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In regard to the rest of the gun, the current stock has a higher cheekpiece and straighter stock, which is an improvement, but is also a bit bulkier, which is a step backward.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action of a new CRF Win Supergrade might not be up to pre 64 standards, but its the slickest action I�ve tried or owned. The anti bind lid is a joke: push slightly up at the beginning of the forward stroke and it will bind. Cycling hundred of times with high grade gun oils help, but my CZ 550, although not as slick, will not bind so easy.

Cartridge feeding is impeccable. The extractor snaps over a round in the chamber easily. And the modern actions are ~ 40 years younger, better steels and made in times of lawsuites en masse. Meaning as pasted above, there is more material and somewhat more weight, but they are lawyerproof and that means STRENGHT!

For hunting, get a new one. For collecting there are the old ones.

Good shooting! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Dave>
posted
Hopefully the magazine is longer and doesn't deform the bullet noses in recoil.

------------------
Davis Chase

posted Hide Post
IMO, the current crop of M70s with the Miller designed stocks are the best feeling and handling of all the M70s. A friend just showed me his new Super Grade this evening and it is magnificent! I much prefer the pre '64 actions in general, but for the total package these new ones would be hard to beat.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would venture to think that because of the advances in metallurgy over the past couple of decades that the steel in the new Winnie cfr's would be improved over the steels that were used in the pre 64 guns. I am not implying that there was anything wrong with the old steel other that the occasional impurity which new technologys can eliminate.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 01-19-2002).]

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both but I prefer my old pre 64 hands down...Like and old pair of slippers it just has molded itself to me over the years and a plus is that everyone thinks its a new stainless steel model...actually it just has no blue left on it and the stocks not plastic its driftwood now, but it still shoots tee tiny little groups...Its a 300 H&H and loves the 200 gr. Noslers and 165 gr. blue Barnes X bullets, but I don't allow it to shoot barnes X, Bad dog, no Barnes X, bad dog!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
he, he........

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I like the "featherweight" stocks on the newer ones. It's just a personal thing. It's the thin forend and pistol grip.

I took a close look at the bolt on a new one the other day. The bolt handle is a investment casting that is just stuck on. I am sure they work fine however but it was not blended in at all.

I wish they had a easier safety to work.

Overall I use my pre 64's. I don't own a new one any more.