Find
Notify
Tools

mauser ID help Small ring 98
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted
Can anyone ID this mauser? There are no markings on the front ring as it has been stoned?, or maybe it started life as a large ring action. The barrel is marked "HUSQVARNA VAPENFABRIKSA B. 30-06 U.S. , bit it is not in factory config as it has been rotated 180 degrees so the rear sight dovetail is on the bottom. I don't have a book that id's any of the proof marks on the bottom of the action.

It looks like one of those husqvarna small ring 98's , but I'm not sure. It has the full C ring inner collar and there are no markings on the trigger or bolt shroud.

Any help would be appreciated.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
. I think its been made from parts. Husqvarna never put a barrel on a small ring m98 action like that with a m98 shroud, that I know of.

Is the Husqvarna barrel stamp faceing the inlet too?

That recoil lug is like a m96, but Im not sure if some m98 had a recoil lug like that, and that bolt shroud is m98. The reciever shape by the trigger is like a m98. Does it have a 3rd locking lug?

I posted your question on the swede site

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=41

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You know it's a husqvarna barrel, no doubt off one of their commercial 98 actions (small ring) or the FN actions (large ring) they used.
From what I can see, the action you have is a 98 but since Husqvarna did not make a 98 in small ring with a thumb cutout I'd say someone else made this one.

Posts: 51 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
Definitely not a Swedish action, and the barrel is most likely off a large ring Husqvarna commercial rifle unless that action is an orginal small ring model 98. The serial number on the barrel would tell for sure unless the shank has been turned to the point that the serial number and proof mark have been removed from the barrel.

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Serial # on the barrel is 125938. The only number on the receiver is 461 and it is stamped on the right rear of the receiver.

Weagle

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel is a 1951-'52 off a m640. That would be from a large ring FN action that it was taken off.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Barrel is a 1951-'52 off a m640. That would be from a large ring FN action that it was taken off.

Thanks,

Does anyone recognize the stampings on the bottom of the receiver?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read those are german markings and I guess its a german kar98. Small ring large shank

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I am thinking of using either a 6.5x55 barrel or a .257 roberts barrel that I have on hand.

Any reason this action wouldn't be a good match for one of those rounds. I think I've read that the small ring/large shank config isn't the strongest, but neither of these rounds are really barn burners.

Weagle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about getting in on this late but, what you have is a small ring 98 made by Erfurt during wwl. The threads are the same size as the pre 98 actions that is why has a barrel from a swede 96 small ring.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my research....Kar98 and Erfurt are both small ring large shank. Undisireable, Weaker, thin front rings.

That is a m640 large shank barrel on that action not a small shank.

one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
GSP7 is correct on the barrel identification.

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote