New
Find
Notify
Tools

rechambering a handi-rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just wanted to know if one had ever recmabered a handi-rifle, could it be done, by whom and how was it accuracy wise thinking about getting a .243 reamed out to ai 40 degree. thanks merry christmas

one of us
posted Hide Post
I rechambered a 30-30 handi-rifle to 30-40 Krag. Worked fine.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i was told there wasn't enough headspace to recahmber to ackley, doesn't matter just wanted to mess around with something

<Chainsaw>
posted
TSJ, When you rechambered to 30-40, did you have to redo the case extractor with machining or have something new built?-----Chainsaw

<DuaneinND>
posted
Because headspace for an AI cartridge is actually .003 or.004 shorter than the parent, and there is no way to set the barrel back on a handi rifle, the correct answer is no it won't work. However; the reason for the shortening of the AI headspace is to allow the forming of factory ammo in the AI chamber without any case failures. 243 brass is srong, and if you seated the bullet into the lands and used a load that would just form the case, you probably wouldn't lose any cases. The othe way woud be to neck 260 brass down just enough to fit the chamber and fireform.

one of us
posted Hide Post
chainsaw, I just altered the 30-30 extracter, opened it up on mill. I have heard of soft soldering the extracters to the barrel and cutting them in place with the reamer.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote