New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air compressor recommendation?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a bigger air compressor for a couple of things I'm doing. Have a long run to the sub box in the workshop and don't want to draw more amps, or I'd lean towards bigger.

Think I've settled on buying one of the three 3.7HP/60 gallon/240V clones sold as Porter Cable/Husky/Kobalt by Tractor Supply/Home Depot/Lowes. Okay reviews. Seems like a 3rd party with really poor support makes all three, and support is always handled by 3rd party. Anybody like/dislike theirs? Recommendations among the 3? Other recommendations? Need at least 8 CFM at 90psi.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Buy the biggest you can afford. I have a 5hp, 80-gallon Speedaire that's been in service 10 years. It blew a head gasket about 5-years ago and the fix was an updated design head. Expensive somewhat but you get what you pay for.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the 3.7hp 60 gallon Husky. It does the job I need it to. Been in service for six years now without an issue. For gun work mine doesn't usually run a lot (maybe kicks on twice a day) unless I'm bead blasting so I expect it to last a long time. My brother runs a garage and had to pick up one of these when he was in a bind getting his main compressor serviced. Surprisingly he said it kept up okay with three guys running air tools.

Posts: 595 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't buy a direct drive unit unless you plan on keeping it in a separate out building. The noise will drive you nuts and you will jump out of your shorts when in kicks on.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's very true. I built a separate room with insulated walls just for the air compressor, bead blaster and dust collection system. When I run the bead blaster I wear ear protection anyways so the noise isn't an issue in there. If it was in the regular shop space the noise would be very bothersome and as Jim notes you'll jump out of your shorts in the middle of a checkering job when it kicks on leaving a gouge across your freshly finished stock Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Don't buy a direct drive unit unless you plan on keeping it in a separate out building. The noise will drive you nuts and you will jump out of your shorts when in kicks on.

Posts: 595 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ihave two Ingersall Rand's 60 and 20 gal. (not the Chinese copy, but the US made) Of course,. both have motors made in Mexico and the larger appears to be a little temperature sensitive.

with a CNC machine, I really can't be without air, hence the back up.

I would not be inclined to recommend this brand despite the price that's right up there

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Run plenty of pvc to have lots of convenient places to connect. The more you have, the more storage you have, like having a bigger tank.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PVC is not a real good choice and in most cases does not meet code. Here,it must be contained or at least 10 feet above the floor (bursting issue)

OK if you have no employees, I guess. Jurisdictions may differ

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you run pvc make sure it is sched 80 (gray stuff) it will work well for air

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a friend plumb his shop with PVC
Minor fire from a torch melted the PVC
Instant furnace
Wasn't nice

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do don't use pvc. I used a 1000 or so feet of 3/4" per-al-pex for my shop. There are lots of kits out there that are a decent price with all the fittings and drops.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote