New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got Back My CZ458WM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
[URL= ]a[/URL][URL= ]b[/URL] I decided I will use a CZ action for my second custom Lott project.The work above was done by Martini and Hagn.A Timney trigger was installed,and the action was polished.I compared the smoothness of the bolt operation or cycling between my two CZ and could not imagine going without the work done.There is a big difference in that the polished action does not bind or stick.The rifle now feeds the RN bullets flawlessly but seating depth needs watching for ponted bullets.The rifle was also bedded and a spacer installed in the magazine.The Timney trigger looks and feels great.BEAUTIFUL bolt handle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now add a 3 position safety and you are all set to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Which 3 position safety do you recommend? I might do that if I decided to use my other CZ action for a custom project.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody can correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that Ed LaPour is the only one that makes a 3 position safety for the CZ line of rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway- Nice rifle! With the modifications does it make you as happy as the new Ruger Lott?
I think I'll sell my big bore CZ as I just can't warm up to it.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we correct you if you are mistaken, we would be spending all our time doing just that.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Shootaway- Nice rifle! With the modifications does it make you as happy as the new Ruger Lott?
Pegleg,I shot them both today and had better results with the CZ.The sights on the CZ are better in that they give you a better sight picture or make it easier to see what you are aiming at.I know that does not say much but it was easier for me to see and aim at the bullseye with the CZ.Now that the CZ action is polished and the bolt handle replaced, it cycles more naturally or is more pleasant to cycle than the Ruger.The CZ was more accurate today but that could be because I was out of bore brushes and could not give the Ruger a proper cleaning.The CZ could have been more clean.The recoil on the Ruger was again much less than the CZ even though it is a Lott and the CZ a Win mag.The CZ muzzle lifts with the recoil and so far I did not see this with the Ruger.There are alot of people who like the CZ and I am one of them.If the CZ action is made to feed everything it wins over the Ruger, IMO.The CZ sights are better also.The magazine release is better on the CZ.I can't say about the barrel.I'll have to wait and see.From what I saw today,I will be taking the CZ 458WM to Africa instead of the Ruger Lott.I wish my CZ lott was ready instead.I will send that one to Martini and Hagn and have them do what they did to the Win Mag.I am also thinking about using my Lott CZ action for my second custom Lott project instead of a GMA action.Oh yes,the Timney trigger on the CZ is a gem.It breaks much better than the Ruger trigger and the original CZ trigger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Somebody can correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that Ed LaPour is the only one that makes a 3 position safety for the CZ line of rifles.
Thanks.I'll ask Ralph Martini and see what he thinks.Do you know if anyone makes a mauser like bolt stop? Can a CZ action have one? I saw one on the Forrest rifle Duane Wiebe is working on,but I don't know if that is a CZ action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootaway thanks for the updates on your rifle!

I've got a .416RM ZKK-602 that I am thinking of modifying. I want to get a McMillan fiberglas stock with aluminum/steel pillar bedding and drop my barreled action into that.

The Timney trigger sounds nice, but I have hunted with the .416RM and had no problems whatsoever, inspite of that fugly 2-piece factory trigger. I may get a Timney though...

Also I need a barrelband installed.

I don't mind the 2 position safety either. I've hunted with M-700's all my life and the 2-pos safeties are fine with me. IMHO the 3 position safety is not a necessary upgrade. If you are not accustomed to it, and I am not, then I think in fact, it could be detrimental.

So really, all I want is a barrelband and to get the McMillan stock and mine will be good to go.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
What made you decide to use Martini & Hagn? As I recall in one of your earlier posts, you deemed them obscure and not up to your standards.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Pegleg,I shot them both today and had better results with the CZ.The sights on the CZ are better in that they give you a better sight picture or make it easier to see what you are aiming at.I know that does not say much but it was easier for me to see and aim at the bullseye with the CZ.Now that the CZ action is polished and the bolt handle replaced, it cycles more naturally or is more pleasant to cycle than the Ruger.The CZ was more accurate today but that could be because I was out of bore brushes and could not give the Ruger a proper cleaning.The CZ could have been more clean.The recoil on the Ruger was again much less than the CZ even though it is a Lott and the CZ a Win mag.The CZ muzzle lifts with the recoil and so far I did not see this with the Ruger.There are alot of people who like the CZ and I am one of them.If the CZ action is made to feed everything it wins over the Ruger, IMO.The CZ sights are better also.The magazine release is better on the CZ.I can't say about the barrel.I'll have to wait and see.From what I saw today,I will be taking the CZ 458WM to Africa instead of the Ruger Lott.I wish my CZ lott was ready instead.I will send that one to Martini and Hagn and have them do what they did to the Win Mag.I am also thinking about using my Lott CZ action for my second custom Lott project instead of a GMA action.Oh yes,the Timney trigger on the CZ is a gem.It breaks much better than the Ruger trigger and the original CZ trigger.

That was a good explaination. I agree on the sight issue. You gotta be able to see. Good luck.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,after a few years of looking at custom rifles,I found that the ones that attracted me the most where the single shot rifles made by them.They have what they(Martini) call a slim elegance.The express sights on their rifles are the best I've seen.When I first saw their rifles I thought they were strange compared to american ones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a two shot group I shot offhand at 100yds today with the leaf sights mistakingly down.I was using 500gr Speer TBC bullets and Vit 540 powder.The V-shaped leaf sights let me see more of what I am aiming at and the trigger was light enough to shoot this accurate.[URL= ]a[/URL] You can here how smooth the action is in this vidCZ Action It's the moment I shot the 2 shot group above.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a two shot group I shot offhand at 100yds today with the leaf sights mistakingly down.

Your DG rifle has a 100 yard leaf sight that folds down? Have you got a welder?

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I shot a sub 1" two shot "group" offhand at 100 yards, with open sights, with a 458, I would be elated dancing.

If you can shoot a 3 shot group at 100 yards, open sights, 458 Win, offhand, say under 3 inches you are a hero IMO. Eeker

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
quote:
Here is a two shot group I shot offhand at 100yds today with the leaf sights mistakingly down.

Your DG rifle has a 100 yard leaf sight that folds down? Have you got a welder?
JAL,I tried the blue loctite but it didn't last.I am going to try the stronger one.I didn't think of welding it but that might be better.On both my CZ rifles it is the 200yd leaf that shoots bullseye at 100yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JKS:
If I shot a sub 1" two shot "group" offhand at 100 yards, with open sights, with a 458, I would be elated dancing.

If you can shoot a 3 shot group at 100 yards, open sights, 458 Win, offhand, say under 3 inches you are a hero IMO. Eeker

John
JKS,I am trying to keep shooting with the rifle to a minimum,especially before my hunt.