Tools

Belk Rifle for Sale on GunsAmerica
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
GunsAmerica

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NICE-looking rifle!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
That gun was done for Dr. Joe Pace of Tallahassee, Fla. about 1981.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,
You know that we lost Joe a couple of years ago. Founding member of our gun club and African hunter (and sometime resident.) He was a heck of a nice man with wonderful taste in firearms. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Ku-dude

Maurice has passed on also. Our state lost a great stockmaker and first class person.

I realize how much we've lost when I look at today's custom guns as a whole. They seem to look a lot alike to me anyway. I don't think anyone had an eye for doing more styles than Maurice did. The best part of that was that every style he did was superebly done. I sure miss his variety.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Ku-Dude----

I had heard that about Joe. He was a co-owner in the first shop I worked in and became a very good friend. He seemed an unlikely carrier fighter pilot, but he was. He lived an interesting life.....just too short.

Is that the old Spleugeon Pass Skeet Club at Coonbottom you're talking about? I used to shoot there quite a bit.

<JBelk>
posted
Idared--

You're so right about Maurice being comfortable and GOOD with many, different styles. He stocked several of my metal jobs and he always went the extra mile to make it a good job.

I see this rifle for sale and wonder where the 35 Whelen with ribbed half oct. half round barrel, claw mounts, stocked in a side panelled, schabelled, beaded cheekpieced, and muellered bordered checkered Germanic-style stock in fiddleback English went to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack

Was the front receiver ring cut to fit the claw dovetail? It looks to be sitting lower than the front diameter. What is your opinion on dovetailing the front of the receiver for claw mounts?
Beautiful Rifle.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
JB--

The two actions Joe traded for were both dovtailed but only half depth. The soldered on pad makes up the rest of the distance.

I don't like cutting the front ring at any depth. The newly available QD mounting systems make claw mounts obsolete anyhow.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
35 Whelen with ribbed half oct. half round barrel, claw mounts, stocked in a side panelled, schabelled, beaded cheekpieced, and muellered bordered checkered Germanic-style stock in fiddleback English [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Jack

You almost caused me to drool on the keyboard just thinking about that one. Did Maurice stock it also? That is one that I would truly like to see also. You don't happen to have pictures of it do you? If not, thanks for the vivid description anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Idared---

I don't have pictures of the Whelen. I went back to Tallahassee for a visit about 1983 and Joe had just gotten the rifle back from Maurice. We had a chance to shoot a few deer on Joe's place and I killed a couple with that Whelen.......but only shot once. LOL

It was a fine rifle and a good afternoon hunt. Joe Pace shot a small buck with a 7x57 he'd had done by Monte Mandarino before he went into pure artist mode.

<manhasset>
posted
JB,
check out Hallowellco.com under "New Arrivals". there is a Maurice Ottmar listing for a custom mauser in .35 Whelen. could this be it ?
Bob.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
 -

Maurice Ottmar Custom Mauser .35 Whelen $4,975

20 1/2" Krupp/Sauer octagon-to-round barrel with full-length, solid, integral, matted rib. Figured walnut stock with double-beaded cheekpiece, schnabel forend, flat sidepanels, pedestalled rear swivel base, trapdoor PG and buttplate, forend crosspin fastener and engraved screws. Mauser action with jeweled bolt and follower, 6-panel checkered bolt knob,

Blackburn bottom metal, casehardened cocking piece and Lyman 36 receiver sight. Weight: 7lbs, 10oz. Built 1994.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Chic, I see that the apple didn't fall too far from the Tree. You had a really good mentor and friend in Maurice.
 -
 -
 -

[ 02-07-2003, 21:35: Message edited by: alvinmack5 ]

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Jack

Joe Pace shot a small buck with a 7x57 he'd had done by Monte Mandarino before he went into pure artist mode.

Ah, Monte Mandarino. There was another man who could do something other than the "American Classic" style. [Smile]

Did he live in Florida before moving to Kalispell, Montana? I miss seeing his work also.