New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77-44 Rifle Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased a Ruger M77-44 Magnum bolt action rifle about a year ago and have been a bit disappointed with its accuracy.

I admit my testing has not been very extensive, but the first trials and impressions are nothing great.

Conservative cast bullet loads with 240 gr SWC bullets group 4 - 5 inches at 50 yards. Jacketed and factory jacketed ammo will cut this group in half. Still I feel it should shoot much better at this range, especially since this is off a bench rest and with a 3 x 9 scope? Other shooters get same results, so I can't blame it on myself.

Anyone care to comment with their experiences in how to improve the accuracy on what otherwise looks to be excellent rifle. (Yes, I bought it new.)

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
i get 2.5" @ 100yd groups with 280gr speer gold dots over a max charge of H110
6" @ 200
hates lead bullets

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trigger Done?? some Rugers have 7 pound triggers from the factory.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
I really wanted one when they first came out but was afraid they would turn out like the .22 Hornet....1 in 10 is a shooter. That's exactly what I'm hearing about the 77/44. And the magazine is too short...just like the Hornet. Why can't they(Ruger) match throat lenght to mag. lenght? Oh well, have a Rossi in .44 and enjoy it. Shoots and feeds #429421, is accurate and a blast to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trigger is pretty good on mine. Magazine is cranky. Goes in nicely unless you are in hurry or day dreaming.

And you are right about all the small action Rugers. About 1 in 10 will shoot worth a flip. It seems Ruger has started building guns to SELL...not to shoot.

I bought a .257 Roberts a couple of years ago, also a Ruger bolt action, and something was crazy with it. Pressures were sky high with everything. Blown primers, split cases. Tried different factory ammo and cut back reloads. Pressure still crazy. It was like Ruger chambered a .243 barrel for .257 Roberts or something. I got rid of the bitch before it wrapped the barrel around my head.

Wake up RUGER!!!

<Dan in Wa>
posted
About 12 years ago I bought a Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts. Also had one in .25/06 HB. Well the .25/06 was a great rifle and shot in the .6's but was too heavy for a carry rifle so I got the .257. It had the ruffest barrel I've ever seen, didn't shoot that bad 1.25" was the best I could get out of her. I played with this thing for a year and thats the best it would do. The .25/06 must have been a Wed. gun the .257 a Monday/Friday gun. Have owned several Ruger firearms both pistol and rifles and their quaility control is crap. Some good some junk. Wait until you have a need for a replacement part. Had a extractor break on a MK2 .22 pistol....called Conn. You need to call Prescott, OK Talked to some women who was an idiot, finally talked to someone that had a clue, a $.50 piece had a $6.00 shipping /handle fee. So i got a few spare parts like a new firing pin etc. Wrote a personnel check for about $10.00 and waited and waited for about 6 weeks....called Prescott again to see what the problem was. Sorry sir , had to wait for the check to clear. Ruger can kiss my butt. If you want customer service buy from Thompson/Center. They are THE best. Hey Mr. Bill if you read this stuff do something ,I'm not the only one that thinks your products are going down the crapper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dan. About the only Ruger rifles I would trust to be any good any longer are the heavy barrel varmit jobs. All of them I've seen shot very well, but are lousy guns to carry around as you point out.

For sure Rugers are not what they once were.
Sad, sad, sad. I know I'm finished with Rugers.