Find
Notify
Tools

Craig Boddington!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What has been quoted is a mere two sentences from an entire chapter on the subject of extractors, controlled-round feeding and related matters.

I have read Boddington's book, including the chapter in question. Would anyone care to read the next sentence before jumping to conclusions?

"Such catastrophic failures [of older actions] are incredibly rare, and with safe handling procedures that avoid barrel obstructions, and sane reloading procedures that eliminate overloads of wrong powders, they're almost impossible . . . "

Or a few paragraphs further along, after reporting on his stepson's FN Mauser extractor failure when after a cape buffalo (the extractor separated from the bolt collar and jammed the action shut with a fired cartridge in the chamber):

"Well, that [extractor failure] isn't to imply that Mauser actions are prone to failure. Of course they aren't--but neither are the more modern actions. What type of bolt-action, then, is really the most reliable and the most desirable for African hunting?

"All things being equal, I'd have to give the nod to controlled-round feeding, especially with the wonderful new actions available . . . . But I wouldn't pick them by a significant margin."

That conclusion is rock-solid, in my view. CRFs have a slight advantage. Push feeds do, however, work just fine. The rest is the merest theory, and not worth the time to debate.

In this chapter, Boddington makes it clear, in his always straightforward, clear and polite way, that he doesn't buy the loads of dramatic life and death crap slung in the controlled-round feed versus push feed, strong action versus weak action advantage/disadvantage debate.

That's because, unlike most, he has enormous experience with both controlled-feed actions and push feed actions, and because of his experience he knows the difference between theory and reality.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had no idea that this thread should become that long... but to make an opion is that everthing that is made by the humanhand do fail sometime, some more than other! The old boer president Paul Kruger believed only in God and the Mauser(in that order)!.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
What has been quoted is a mere two sentences from an entire chapter on the subject of extractors, controlled-round feeding and related matters.

I have read Boddington's book, including the chapter in question. Would anyone care to read the next sentence before jumping to conclusions?

"Such catastrophic failures [of older actions] are incredibly rare, and with safe handling procedures that avoid barrel obstructions, and sane reloading procedures that eliminate overloads of wrong powders, they're almost impossible . . . "

Or a few paragraphs further along, after reporting on his stepson's FN Mauser extractor failure when after a cape buffalo (the extractor separated from the bolt collar and jammed the action shut with a fired cartridge in the chamber):

"Well, that [extractor failure] isn't to imply that Mauser actions are prone to failure. Of course they aren't--but neither are the more modern actions. What type of bolt-action, then, is really the most reliable and the most desirable for African hunting?

"All things being equal, I'd have to give the nod to controlled-round feeding, especially with the wonderful new actions available . . . . But I wouldn't pick them by a significant margin."

That conclusion is rock-solid, in my view. CRFs have a slight advantage. Push feeds do, however, work just fine. The rest is the merest theory, and not worth the time to debate.

In this chapter, Boddington makes it clear, in his always straightforward, clear and polite way, that he doesn't buy the loads of dramatic life and death crap slung in the controlled-round feed versus push feed, strong action versus weak action advantage/disadvantage debate.

That's because, unlike most, he has enormous experience with both controlled-feed actions and push feed actions, and because of his experience he knows the difference between theory and reality.

Ditto, makes a lot of sense.
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
500 Grains, my point was, and mrlexma made it pretty clear, that this business of taking such a small portion of a lot more and commenting on it unwittingly is foolish at best. You've proven it. I would also bet dollars to donuts that you have seen bloody few actions blow, and am also betting no two would react the same. This is a stupid discussion at best.

If someone is having trouble with exploding rifles, maybe it isn't the sport for you.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:

If someone is having trouble with exploding rifles, maybe it isn't the sport for you.

That is the kind of retort I would expect from an elementary school student.

Look, I know there are a lot of Bod worshippers out there and I do not know if you are one or not. But the man has has info dead wrong on this one. Accept it or not, your choice. Unfortunately, some people might actually believe what Bod wrote, which has some safety implications.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accept it or not, your choice. Unfortunately, some people might actually believe what Bod wrote, which has some safety implications.

You're grasping at straws.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck: Some people are full of beans, and never have a good or useful thing to say...and they have more un-supported opinion than actual experience in the subject matter. Some people can only see clearly out to the end of their nose, but beyond that, their vision becomes iffy. I agree 100% with you, mrlexma, and Roland1. There is no need to be so negative, unless it is backed up with something of substance...

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
I natually reconize Boddington as an authority but I just had these questions on my mind!

Dear Jens:
Boddington is a prolific gunwriter, and he certainly has a great deal of practical hunting experience. Many US Americans also esteem him for his unusual military career.

But this does not necessarily infer any expertise in gunsmithing and materials science, as the thread shows :-).

Incidentally (and I apologize to the others for enveloping this question in the thread): do you have any information about the Danish Agner .22 target pistol from the 1970s or 1980s?

Thanks, Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
By 1898, there was not much left that needed to be changed.
IMO, ALL alterations that have been made since 1898 to Mauser's final action design have been steps in the wrong direction.

I am sorry, but I think this is not correct. Indeed, Mauser and FN have constantly improved the original 1898 action in many tiny steps. One of the best known developments is the improvement of the striker (firing pin). Please be not oblivious of this constant evolution. The myth of the "perfect original design" is... just a myth.

Carcano

--

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
I had no idea that this thread should become that long... but to make an opion is that everthing that is made by the humanhand do fail sometime, some more than other! The old boer president Paul Kruger believed only in God and the Mauser(in that order)!.

Old Oom Paul.......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carcano91:

I am sorry, but I think this is not correct. Indeed, Mauser and FN have constantly improved the original 1898 action in many tiny steps. One of the best known developments is the improvement of the striker (firing pin). Please be not oblivious of this constant evolution. The myth of the "perfect original design" is... just a myth. Carcano

But a pretty justifiable one, you must admit.....

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carcano91:

Boddington is a prolific gunwriter, and he certainly has a great deal of practical hunting experience. Many US Americans also esteem him for his unusual military career.

But this does not necessarily infer any expertise in gunsmithing and materials science, as the thread shows :-).

Bravo!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Could you please qualify on how the M98 "striker pin" was modified in small steps and when ?

Yes. The part between firing pin tip and main striker body (the two safety shoulders corresponding to similar interior notches inside the bolt body). Quite significant.
quote:

You cannot speak of the action as being a M98 when the modification is by FN or anyone after !

I would maintain, contrarily to your wording, that many of changes in the time 1900-1945 do indeed pertain to the "M98" action. This also refers to the breeching styles.

Carcano

--

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer, it was neither my gun or my idea; I just happened to be present after the fact.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
what did Mauser change that significantly What do you mean by breaching style ?

Exempli gratia, the Costa Rican contract.

Carcano

--

posted Hide Post
As a layman, I would say that the problem with buying an old "Mauser action" is that you really have to know what you are buying.

As I understand it quality control during production varied considerably depending who made it and when. In addition, if you buy a "custom" ( I use the term loosely!) rifle built on such an action you rely on the original builder knowing what were they doing or you could have a host of problems.

A modern mass prodeced rifle like the M70 or the CZ550 may not have all the desirable features of the original m98, but they are produced to a consistant standard and therefore tend to be a known quantity so to speak. Again this is from the perspective of a lay person not a amauser expert.

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS reading Jon Speeds book about the commercial mauser or civil mausers as they are called also, there is no doubt that the people at Oberndorf had established not only a line of fine rifles but also had qualitycontrolsystem insuring a highstandard product that is so soughtafter to this day by hunters(myself)guncollectors and gunsmiths! My first buck was downed by my model B mauser made in 1913!. I used to many years ago, when I didn`t know anything about " mauser",I refered all M98 systems as "mauser" untill someone one day gave me a "real"mauser natually made "am Necker" and that was for me the moment of truth!. Later I just had to get one but also realized that I was NOT the ONLY one looking for them! They are really hard to find, as Mauser hasn`t made all that many!. Yes......there are many alike but Mauser for me is from Oberndorf am/Necker!.If it doesn`t carry the Mauser name on the reciever it`s Not a mauser!

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:

Boddington is neither a gunsmith nor an engineer, and this statement only reinforces that fact. If he had ever tried to blow up a Mauser (pre-war), he would have found that a case full of Bullseye just sets the lugs back and seizes the action with no injury to the shooter.

Try that with a new Model 70, and the hand grenade effect is demonstrated.

You know allot for a lawyer Confused

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Although conducted many years ago, it seems to me that Ackley's tests of the actions that were then available were the most definitive as far as resulting information released to the public is concerned. There may be better, newer information, but I have not seen much of it!

Ackley's tests showed the action of the 6.5mm Arisaka to be the strongest of all, compared to Mausers, Springfields, P 17 Enfields, etc. But the Arisaka is a pretty poor basis for a sporting rifle. Many of the so-called "safety breeched (ie, REM 700) actions were among the worst when a cartridge case burst, as all the tight fitting at the breech seemed to do was accelerate the escaping gas so the gas did more damage than if it has escaped from a "loose" action like a Mauser.

As mentioned above, the weakest link in the system is the brass cartridge case, and most bolt actions in use today are much stronger than cartridge cases. If pressures are kept well within the safety limits of the cartridge case, the action will not fail! (Except for possibly some old actions that some "gunsmith" annealed the receiver so it could be engraved, then left it soft. Or where some turkey dovetailed a claw mount base through the top of the receiver ring! I have seen such abortions, usually from Germany, built on milsurp Mauser actions.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
Although conducted many years ago, it seems to me that Ackley's tests of the actions that were then available were the most definitive as far as resulting information released to the public is concerned. There may be better, newer information, but I have not seen much of it!

I have collected a 94, 96, and 38 Swedish Mausers for test, as Ackley did not test the Swede's, but I have not got around to it yet.
One problem is; Where would you display that information?
I have been banned from Bear tooth forums for describing a destructive test work up of 45 Colt brass in a Stevens OEM 410.
I have been banned from Graybeards forums for describing a destructive test work up of 45/70 brass in a Handi rifle.
I have been banned from parallax bills forums for describing a destructive test work up of 7.62x25mm brass in a CZ52.
I have been banned from Pistol smith forums for describing a destructive test work up of 9x23mm brass in a Tokarev.
And that list is the tip of the iceberg of trouble I have had for posting raw data.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sofa Safe to come out yet?????

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boddingtn is off the maps on this! He has made so damn many errors in his "expertise" i.e. A 500 Jeff needs a magnum action! Boddingon apparently never did one second of research.....pure BS! The fact is that the 500 Jeff can use the standard NM-98 to full advantage.......No matter what the "expert" Boddington says....he's simply wrong!...wrong...pay no attention to this guy!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are in Tacoma, you probably know Dave Workman, gun writer.

Craig Boddington should then seem like a pretty decent gunwriter, trading lies with panache for bribes, samples, trips, a file of pictures with talking points, and writing fees.

That reminds me of Zumbo...