Find
Notify
Tools

700 Trigger adjustment question ...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Maximus
posted
Is it common to have a little bit of play on the stock trigger after adjusting it to a lighter pull?? I adjusted it to about a 3lb pull, anything less, trigger becomes sloppy. At 3-4+ lbs, there's a little play in the trigger. No further adjustments will tighten it. Will this cause any kind of problems whatsoever?? Please advise.

Thanks!

Posts: 94 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The "play" you mention could be trigger creep, or take up. Creep can be removed, in my experience, via the trigger engagement screw which is the single screw at the rear of the trigger housing. A properly adjusted remington trigger should not have play/creep. If you follow the trigger adjustment instructions available on many forums, you shouldn't have any problem.

Posts: 5 | Location: pa | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Maximus,

I should also mention, just in case you haven't yet touched the Trigger Engagement Screw, that improper adjustment of this screw can make the rifle go bang when it ain't supposed to. Those forums I mentioned provide safety checks which MUST be conducted. Proceed with caution.

Posts: 5 | Location: pa | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several remington 700's with stock trigger's that have been professionally worked over and set at three pounds. They do not have creep. I got brave a tried a shilen trigger on one of my rifles. There is no comparison between the shilen trigger and the worked over remington. You would believe the three pound shilen is lighter than the trigger gauge reads.
You may want to consider trying one.

While adjusting the three screws and replacing a couple of springs sound easy-my results have not equalled that of a talented smith smoothing things up.

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Maximus
posted Hide Post
The sear engagement screw is NO longer adjustable. It was screwed in until the firiing pin was released, then backed out 1/3 of a turn. All tests were passed, works flawlessly, however just a little movement. However, there's some tension to the movement as well. I mean, if I push the trigger, it'll move forward slightly, with a springy effect. The only way to elminate it all together is if I screwed in the trigger pull screw all the way, approx. 3 360 turns, where the pull weight is over or around 8lb.

Creep is before the firing pin falls. There is no creep when cocked, just a slight movement of the trigger after the pin has fallen.

Posts: 94 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Maximus
posted Hide Post
I had a Rifle Basix L1 trigger, probably got a lemon, it didn't pass any tests I performed on the darn thing. Every time I tapped it with a rubber mallet, the pin went flying. Returned the trigger in a heart beat. Thought about getting a Shilen or Timney, maybe a Jewel if I can ever save the cash, but I'm gonna see how the factory one turns out first.

The L1 trigger was sweet, light and crisp, too bad it didn't work properly. Oh, I wasn't a big fan of the aluminum body either.

Thanks Fat Man!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My father installed one of the Rifle Basix triggers on one of his Senderos recently and it turned out real nice. He's really happy with it. It's a close second to the Shilen's that we have. The Shilen triggers are not too bad if you shop around. I've found them between $70-$80. I don't think that's too bad considering the Moyers trigger that I put in my brothers Browning A-Bolt a few weeks ago was $115 and it was a much more simple piece than the 700 trigger.

Go figure. I guess if you're the onle shop in town...

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy and Shilen trigger and you will be glad you did. The worst money you spend is the money you spend not buying what you really want.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats the feel I get when I use the existing spring. There's not enough preload on the factory spring (when it's turned below 3lbs), it's just resting on the connector. Switch to a Holland spring and you'll see a big difference. I've shot rifles with Shilen triggers, not impressed. A good smith can work a rem trigger to "feel" as good as a Shilen. I prefer Jewell triggers if I'm not using Remingtons.

Posts: 108 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My own remington triggers are set to 44ounces and I have never been able to make any of them fire accidently.I have slammed the bolts,struck the actions with a soft hammer and squeezed the trigger with the safety engaged then released the safety with every one and all have proven totally reliable.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote