Find
Notify
Tools

Checkering Tools Part Duex
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
Opening a drawer from way back in time. Look closely and you will see the clear plastic diamond for laying out the checkering master lines.

Note the Herters price tags: $1.02

For the bad eyes:

Posts: 1467 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Nice to see the old Herter's stuff.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that I enjoyed. Thanks

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That tool drawer looks a lot like mine, I dealt with Herters quite a bit, still have a couple of their pre-turned stocks for SR Mausers. Thanks for sharing - especially the checkering etc. cradles.--- John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice stash of tools. Mine is of similar vintage although much more humble. Also includes an MMC power tool which hasn't been used in over 15 years.

I've noticed the "out of stock" status on a lot of cutters too. Two observations here: Michael Ullman recently purchased the late Jon Doiron's carbide checkering tool business and is currently manufacturing them in Texas. These are costly but there are none better. Also, if you go to the Gun line Tools Web site there is a notice that the business is currently for sale. This might be a great opportunity for someone. I'd love to see it purchased and revitalized. I'd Do it myself but I'm too old and poor.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
"Old and Poor"

Thought I had the market on this situation.

But I be Proud, as my Kin down in dirt farming Georgia would say.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes old and poor. A lot of us around I think. But I've had an interesting and good run so far and I'm basically happy and have come to terms with the Eastwood quote, "A man has got to know his limitations."

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote