Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glass Bedding Basics?
 Login/Join

posted
I've got a Model 70 Classic Stainless/Synthetic that has been giving me fits accuracy wise, And I was thinking that possibly tinkering with the bedding could help get the accuracy and consistancy I desire. The problem is, where I live (southern tier NY) there are no gunsmiths that I know of locally that I would trust to do this sort of work (high probability of a half-ass piss poor job) so I've been toying with the idea of glass bedding it myself. I've never tackeled a job like this before so I'm looking for a little guidance. First is the a job you basic tinkerer/hobbiest can do, and more importantly, do well. Also, what are the basic steps in preforming such a task, and lastly, if this is a job that a novice can do, what materials do you suggest (acra-glas regular/or gel, kit form or something else ect.).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several good video/dvd’s out there that walk you through the process. If you’re like most of us it’s easier to watch it being done than to read about it in a book.

Brownell’s Acra products come with really good written instructions also.

Pillar bedding takes a bit more skill and tools but it ain’t that difficult if you are at all handy with tools and you take your time prepping everything BEFORE [!!!] you start mixing and smearing bedding material all over the place.

Rick

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the Acraglas Kit.
Brownells has always given great instructions with their products.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my shot at describing the basic steps:
-Remove stock material where you want the bedding to be (I like to take out 1/16-1/8"). Make sure you leave some kind of surface for the barreled action to lay on because if you don't the action will sink into the bedding and you'll have a crooked bedding job. Usually I leave the wood around the middle of the action around the magazine or a thin strip of wood perpendicular to the action at the front and rear of the reciever, just enough to give it support while the bedding cures. This material can be removed later if you want.
-Put dams in the stock to keep the material from flowing into areas that you dont want it to flow into (ie around action screw holes or the barrel channel). I like to use modeling clay.
-apply release agent to barreled action
-mix up the bedding. usually its gel epoxy with added fiberglass thats been cut to 1/8" length fibers, or agragel. its easier to work with a gel because it wont run too much.
-add bedding to stock
-put in barreled action and lightly tighten the action screws, just enough to hold the barreled action in place.
-wait
-remove barreled action after bedding is finished curing
-clean off release agent, pick out the clay, and trim off any bedding that has flowed out.

That's basically it. You can find better instructions online or in instructional videos/books.

I like to bed the entire stock where it contacts the barreled action (including barrel channel). It freefloat barreles I add 4-5 layers of duct tape the the barrel before applying release agent. When it's all finish just remove the tape and you have a nice smooth/clean/sealed barrel channel that's free floated.

Take extra time to make sure you prepped everything correctly, it pays off in the end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, you can do the bedding yourself. It is doable by us average guys. I think the best thing you can do is read all that you can about doing it before you start. For the first one, Brownell's Acragalss Gel kit is the best way to go. It has good instructions to guide you through the process. If you can swing it, get the Videos and look at them a couple of times.
Use a solid rifle vise to hold the stock.
Have everything you will use during the bedding in place and prepped before you start, like screwdrivers, and a cloth to clean with.
For now, I think the best suggestion is to read and learn as much as you can before strating.
I have a CZ 527 in 222 Remingtion I'll bed today.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys

Where would a bloke get a hold of one of the dvd/videos on glass bedding?

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote