New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checkering Cradle
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

Been trying my hand at chasing out/ refreshing some old checkering on a couple of shotguns.

Right now I'm laying the stock on a thick towel and using a couple of full shot bags to steady the stock.

It is obvious to me I need a cradle!!!@#@

Can anyone show a picture or two so I can see what I need.

Also, I anyone has a decent one for sale, I'd be interested.

I have not heard many good things about the one that looks like a 2x4 with ears from Brownells.

Thanks in advance,

rudyc

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rudy.
Amateur here. I built my own cradle several years ago. Solid oak, looks purdy, works well. Shoot me an email address and I will send you some pix. Would sell for not much over cost of mtls.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Mine is very close to this
http://www.noslerreloading.com...opic.php?f=9&t=26813

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rudyc,
Here is a simple cradle made from a 26" 2X4 Oak. I have used this on all types of stocks and grips for pistols. Notice the swivel which holds the cradle in the vise. This is to rotate the stock without removing from the vise. The light is important for the shadows. If you sniff enough of the dust it can cause sinus problems, so I made up an air system to clear the lines and blow the dust away. Also a face mask is used most of the time. These pictures show my method which I have used for years. Hope this will help

Les Brooks

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
For shotguns, I use a 3/4" dowel, about 24" long that is inserted into a 6"x3/4" ID scrap steel tube with a slit halfway down, so I can clamp the tube in my swivel bench vise. Loosening the vise will let me turn the dowel, which is inserted into the usual hole in the buttstock, with tape around the dowel for a tight fit. For double shotgun fore stocks, a temporary screw holds the stock on the dowel (iron removed).
Hey, nice wood--too bad about the white line plate and cap..... Roll Eyes

Hippie redneck geezer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the air system which I mentioned above, but failed to post correctly.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Wow! Nice setup! Always wanted to try one of those MMC power checkering tools, but I guess I'm too late. Heard they are out of business. Can't even find any manual carbide cutters, anymore.

Hippie redneck geezer

posted Hide Post
Hello Brice,

PM sent

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Those white lines are unblued steel....

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Expensive, but cool:

http://customstockmaker.com/st...al-checkering-cradle

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3068 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane that looks like a real nice setup, do you have any other photo's of it plus some details........like how do you move it back and forth over the ball?............Ian

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I don't do any checkering. This is left over parts from my gunsmith.

Posts: 6446 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote