New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mathieu Arms
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have ant info on these rifles, good or bad?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank deHaas liked the one he tested.

See page 292 of "Bolt Action Rifles".

Push feed. Left hand.

deHaas says they were never "commercially" made.

Some/w double set triggers.

Seems to have been made from 1950 through the sixties.

'03 triggers fit the action, seems bottom metal also.

deHaas said to keep it if you owned one.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Bud" Mathieu was way ahead of his time. I had some good conversation with him in the 1970's He was shot down in his fighter craft in WWII. Found by a farmer, trapped in his aircraft, the farmer shoved a hay fork into him to kill him...he survived and a couple days later, he was "gathered up" by the authorities,taken to a hospital, where German medics put him "back together".

After the war, he saw a need for LH actions. He liked the Springfield, and in his machine shop, manfactured what isknow as the Mathieu action....Yes, they were commercially available. Though I have not seen a RH action, stockmaker Ed Aubert (Suisun, CA) claims he once owned one.

A Mathieu action is a real collectors prize...yes..they were damn good actions
\

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLK320:
Anyone have ant info on these rifles, good or bad?

I had one back in the '70's in .300 H&H. Relatively light, deadly accurate and I used it on an Alberta hunt to get a bighorn sheep.
Like many others I should have kept it.

I have one now in .256 Newton that some one put a heavy barrel and a somewhat of a target stock on it. It has a Canjar trigger (don't remember how the .300 was triggered.) The safety on this one has been messed with and will not engage. Other than being a push feed I can anything to fault them on. (push feed ain't always bad) Only thing I can see is they must have been "before their time."

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The safeties tended to wear out...Jim Wisner funished a new bolt sleeve for me...for a customer named "Wisner" Unfortunately, once they're worn out , they're history

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote