New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who does rust bluing ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have barreled action that needs rust blued; where can I send it ?

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Tip Burns, did a great job on my 375 H&H.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike McCabe does it also. He did one of TC1's rifles. He's in Colorado and a good guy to deal with.

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger Ferril is in your neck of the woods, absolutely first class work...though don't know if he accepts anything but full customs

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jim has a place

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Turnbull's

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I do.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
A recommendation to look very closely at John Farmer. He did a wonderful job on a Winchester 12 16ga shotgun for me. I can not speak highly enough about the quality of his work and commitment to excellence.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
A recommendation to look very closely at John Farmer. He did a wonderful job on a Winchester 12 16ga shotgun for me. I can not speak highly enough about the quality of his work and commitment to excellence.

Frank---I have seen quite a bit of rust bluing and the best that I have seen is done by a 2nd generation English Smith who in his early years worked at Churchill. His is the slow rust method using a very old formula that no one to my knowledge uses because it is quite in fact it is acutely labor intensive even for rust bluing. The final product is breathtaking but Andrew McFarlane’s specialty restoration of the English doubles (he even can built double rifle and shotgun barrels from blanks) but also works on others things as well.

His client list is pretty exclusive but I got to meet him through some mutual friends and his work is without a doubt “Gold Standard”. Took a double rifle action that he built from a forging to the ACOG this year that had just come back from the engraver (who was at the show displaying) and everyone who saw it just shook their head and said “oh sh$%T”. I could go into very finite detail about the people who looked at it Very closely but that is not necessary just know their names would be instantly recognized by the Smiths here.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree wih Duane. Roger Ferrell rust blued my 10.75 Mauser, and I could not be happier. He does beautiful work, very detailed oriented and good turn around time. What more can you ask?

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I do.

And do a fine looking job. Look at the pictures John posted of a Brevex in the fall of 2008

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have to 2nd Tip Burns. He has done a few peices for me and all were top notch.

www.canyonsportingarms.com

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic Worthing (Customstox) does rust bluing, I believe.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i do red rusting Frowner Big Grin Wink

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Here is an example of one of the Smiths I use---
I only have 4 more of these Hurricane Utah Black Walnut blanks left.

Andrew McFarlane said this was as hard as any Turkish he has ever worked with---Chuck Grace who duplicated the blank agreed.

Have quite a few knockout blanks but on a lever gun nothing beats a quality Black Walnut stick!!

http://i189.photobucket.com/al...meyerdw/81627516.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/al...meyerdw/ea5fdccb.jpg

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i do red rusting Frowner Big Grin Wink

Ha.

I did this one, was my third piece, has one spot on it but the color is cooool. (pilkington)

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice blue on the little Jap Nambu.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Iam gonna hafta throw John back out there...I watched the entire Brevex transformation. You will do no better! Wink

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck1911:
Iam gonna hafta throw John back out there...I watched the entire Brevex transformation. You will do no better! Wink

I agree that Rust Bluing is tough to do and I like mine a little darker. Esp on the rifles the dark deep blue finish is unbeatable. Unfortunately the formulas to develop the deep blue is hazardous indeed not to mention if you let something sit as little as 15 minutes too long after the solution is applied pitting is the enemy.