THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: wanting to install aftermarket triggerin rem 700

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: wanting to install aftermarket triggerin rem 700
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Being that the Timney is the low end of triggers, are they still good quality? I have a couple of hunting rifles I'm trying to decide on triggers for, myself. I wouldn't set the trigger pull to anything less than about 2 or 2.5 lbs on them, so I don't need a benchrest type trigger. Any drawbacks to the Timneys? Thanks, Scott

Posts: 52 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chad,
I've installed 2 Jewell triggers on a couple Remington 700's.
As one of the previous posters warned, If you go with a Jewell, it may spoil you! It sure spoiled me!
One thing I found, I had to use a Dremel to grind out some of the stock and trigger guard floor plate for the bolt release lever clearance. I don't know about Timneys or Shilens, but be prepared for a Jewell to be not quite a straight-up replacement job.
I got them from MidwayUSA, on sale for around $200.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What would be the difference between the various triggers? (Jewell, Timney, Shilen, etc.) I mean, why would you choose one over the other (for a hunting rifle)?

Thanks again,
Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is sometimes just a personal preference for the feel of the trigger lever on your finger and the degree of crispness and repeat performance of the trigger break feeling and some are easier to get the "proper feeling" for your preference of trigger action......it's hard to explain and easy to feel if you use the trigger and have been exposed to good triggers and junky feeling triggers......even for a "hunting" rifle you want a clean feeling break with little overtravel and a trigger that doesn't transmitt the "kickback" feeling of sear release....the weight can be the 2.5lb-3lbs range and alittle more sear engagement for a field gun and still get a suprise-crisp break........I have had some reworked factory triggers that were good feeling dependable triggers and use the Jewell for extra accurate precision guns that are shot from rests......I haven't used the Timney but feedback from a couple of shooters that have used them in their hunting guns were very happy with the results......again second hand info. but the one I shot a couple of times seemed nice.....again good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'm installed a few Timney triggers on Enfields, mausers and M-70 rifles...mostly for thrift. I've never been disappointed with them...for hunting rifles they fill my needs well.

However it might be said that if you don't like the original M700 trigger, the Timney might not suit you either. Personally I've considered the M700 trigger to be a very fine (properly adjusted) trigger and as good as most Timney's I've installed.

Hope that helps you decide.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the help. I'm thinking about replacing the trigger in a Mark X rifle and a Ruger M77 MKII. I suppose for the cost, I'll look at the Timney.

Thanks again,
Scott

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Vapodog on this one. Go to Varmint Den's w/s and in the tech. section you will find detailed instructions on how to properly adjust your Remington trigger. I have a safe full of Remingtons and they all have factory triggers on them and they are more than adequate if properly adjusted.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GA Shooter,
I recently put a Timney Sportsman on a 98 Mauser and it's the best $30.00 investment I can remember making. A piece of cake to install too.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're thinking of replacing the trigger on a Ruger 77 MKII, you can't do any better than the Timney. I have three in 77s and they are as good as any trigger out there and fully adjustable. You won't be sorry.